Trying to understand B&W’s trickle down strategy

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to understand what B&W's trickle down tech strategy actually means. I've searched the internet, but not much comes up. So I figured I'd try here instead.

Does the B&W approach e.g. mean that a modern entry level speaker such as the 606 S2 AE sounds as good as (or better) than the older high end Matrix 805?

I know there is a difference in the bracing of the cabinet (in which, as I understand it, the Matrix 805 is far superior). 

To my knowledge it would seem that a 606 S2 AE uses the same midrange as the 805 D3 - which is insane. I don't know about the tweeter though, but since the Matrix 805-design is 31 years old my guess is that the 606 S2-tweeter would also be trickled down several generations ago and that this newer one is as good as (or better) than the Matrix 805.

Is it only the drivers they are trickling down or is it also the crossovers and the whole technology here which tell the drivers how to interact?

I'm debating this because I'd like to know if my money is better spent on a used Matrix 805 than a new 606 S2 AE. The used price of the Matrix 805 is very similar to the new price of 606 S2 Anniversary Edition (at least where I live).

I hope someone can shed some light upon this issue - thanks!

rukiteriaq
You will really need to listen with your own ears to feel the difference. I manage to sit in front of the 600, 700 and the 800 series playing with the same song, amp & room. I can really hear the difference between each of them especially between the 600 and 700. Of course you also need to note the life span as well since the matrix is an older system. Best of luck! 
The Matrix 805 in question here has held its value incredibly well. I have two sets. 
I think you should buy a pair between 550 and 750 if possible. Bring them with you to A-B against the new model you want to compare them to. If you are polite, ask for a time they aren’t busy, a shop of good quality should allow this. Then you can decide with some reasonable expectation of getting it right which you prefer. They may not be beautiful, and WAF not where newer ones are, but the SQ is (IMHO) extraordinary. 
I have a set of M804 as well, m802S2 as well. 
The M805 really punch well above their weight. 
The 800 series not only has the internal bracing and baffling to control resonances, but the drivers have bigger magnets with longer, matching voice coils. 
I've got 30+yr old Matrix 801-S2's that I've tried to replace with many newer speakers, only to sell those and go back to the old 801's.  There's simply something just "right" about them that I love, and the low end works really well in my room.  Some of the newer speakers had better resolution, or better dynamics, but none sounded as satisfying and simply disappear like my Matrix 801's.  I had Nautilus 803's for over a year, and loved the resolution, but they were a tad too bright & thin tonally.  I liked them, but didn't love them.  If you can find a nice used pair of 805's, try them!  You can always resell them at a minimal loss.