Preamp or not.

I currently have the following setup Bluesound Node 2I, Topping D90, Pass XA25, Crites Type B speakers.
I originally had a Sunfire preamp but it failed. Then I upgraded my system last year. I tried a passive pre amp but removed it and now run the DAC direct to amp. The passive sounded fine but I ended up running it at full volume. No remote. I use the Bluesound ap to change volume. My thinking was less is better. My speakers are efficient and dynamic.

The Topping puts out 2V. Pass told me this is adequate. I am wondering what a preamp would do. How would it improve or degrade the sound? How much gain do I want from the preamp? Tube or solid state? Any other suggestions are welcome or should I just leave this alone? I don’t like buying, selling and failing. Here are some I saw that look interesting.

Pro-Ject Pre

Doge

Modwright

Van Alstine

I would like to spend 2000 or less. I don’t need Phono. Remote volume would be nice. Thank you again.

128x128daledeee1
Check out Aric Audio. He makes a tube pre called the Unlimited. Talk to him he may be able to adjust gain to accommodate your needs. 
Been doing some digging after the group's guidance.  The links to other discussions was very helpful.  I see the Tubes4hifi pre amps are given to Don Sachs for his tweeks.  It looks like you can add a lot of options to the SP14.  It has 6SN7 tubes which many say is "the best" tube for pre amps!  Price is very reasonable.  I sent an email to Bob Latino and asked about gain.  I am assuming, so far, that the gain can be lowered or adjustable.  This would be a quite affordable version to try.  The passive Schiit was also intriguing.  I currently have a very "live" sounding setup.  It keeps getting better the more I play it.  Those who listen to more laid back setups might find my system not to their liking.  I think the tube preamp and eliminating the Bluesound volume(turning up all the way) would be a big change to my system.   The Topping and the Pass are both very quiet so it will be interesting. 
The Aric pre I mentioned can be configured for 6Sn7 tubes. Possibly variable gain. There is a thread on it here at AG. 
Thanks for the recommendations.  I am wondering about the difference in sound between the 12AU7, 6189W, 6SN7 vs 300B.  Bottlehead makes a preamp that uses a 300B which seems unique, but I am not a kit builder.  There are several choices in volume controls as well.  Is the main improvement more linear control or is there a better sound as well? 

Don Sachs here.  I see above that someone mistakenly things the tubes4hifi preamps are somehow given to me for tweaking.  Huh?   I get the bare board from Roy.  He has changed the board over the years with suggestions I have made.   That is it.  I choose every part.  I run the tubes at a different operating point.   I have modded the power supply and filament supplies, I use a much shorter signal path, I run the tubes on top and out in the open.  I use a 6BY5 rectifier, etc...   You can buy an sp14 kit and love it.  You can have Roy build you one and you will love it.  But it won't be my preamp.