Wavestream Kinectics Deluxe Phono

Hello,

I would like to learn more about the Wavestream Kinetics Phono Stage.  From searching the forum I have found a few comments about this piece, but mostly all dating back 10-15 years ago.

I am wondering if this piece has both MM and MC inputs?

What is the gain for each?

How does it compare sound wise / noise/tube rush, etc  to other phono stages that you've heard?

I would love to hear any thoughts that may be more recent than 10-15 years ago :)

Thank you and best wishes,
Don
no_regrets
@no_regrets You will NOT be disappointed.

Black background. Warm but not overly sweet notes. Relaxed. Articulates complex notes without congestion.

I recently began practicing a piano piece from George Gershwin, The Man I Love. Lots of 6 and 7 note chords that swing. I have been practicing this on both a Yamaha UX3 upright piano and a Yamaha MO8 workstation synthesizer. Playing these 6 to 7 chords flat out sounds terrible on the MO8, and that was a pretty expensive synth when it first came out. Two and a half octaves below middle C sounds so muddy that my piano teacher via Zoom thought I was playing the wrong chords.

By contrast, hearing myself play this same song on the Yamaha upright and  separately on the Wavestream with vinyl (as a reference)...I know exactly how these complex chords should sound. The Wavestream phono tube just plays through these complex but extremely revealing fat chords in short order. No synthesized instruments or other instruments distract my hearing of what the "The Man..." should sound like.  I forget the gear and get right to business on what "I" am doing wrong in my playing, and I am doing a lot of things wrong!  I consider this one of the highest forms of compliments that I can possibly give to Scott’s gear.   Wait till you play vinyl and wire brush drum sticks...like something from Vince Guaraldi and his drummer playing rhythmic oval circles with his wire brushes....just wow. You hear wires tustling about.

Scott has excellent post purchase support and is a gentleman, as you already found. Very reasonable for post warranty work. He is the same gentleman when I visit him in person.

Have fun and congrats!

-stu
"I am buying Scott's personal Level 5 Reference in like new condition."
Congrats on your acquisition-no_regrets.

"I really love the idea of having a high gain and extremely low noise all tube phono amp that doesn't rely on the use of SUT's or hybrid FET front ends."
My all tube-including rectifier is active gain(no SUT). It however, isn't in the same  league of your new phonostage.  I don't know if this is responsible for the more convincing presentation, when side by side with a few popular tubed, but FET/SUT units.
I’m sure that there is a lot that goes into the design of a great sounding phono stage.  Much more to it than if it uses tubes or solid state or SUT’s for the gain stages.  But in general, I would agree that an all tubed phono can certainly sound more convincing to some vs one that has a FET or SUT front end.   Every device will likely impart a sonic signature to some degree... and of course everyone may hear things differently.  It’s a matter of finding the sonic signatures that are most agreeable to your taste 😊.   For me, using all tubes sound more natural and lifelike than the alternatives. 
I just feel that in this day and age, we (vinyl lovers) are truly blessed as we a lot of great phono stages, turntables, arms, cartridges, and vinyl to choose from.  Something out there for everyone and at every price point👍

Best wishes,
Don

Hi Stu!

Thank you so much for your post.  That is quite a ringing endorsement for the Wavestream Kinetics Deluxe phono stage!  I can't wait to receive it and be able to hear it in my system :)

I love how you described the difference in sound between your two pianos in how they differentiate the complex chords and then related it the performance of the Wavestream.  That analogy made perfect sense to me :)  I love that song.  The chords are so rich and "fat" as you say.

You sound a lot like myself, Stu.  I often liked to practice my cello and play along /compare to the various recordings of Mischa Maisky, Rostropovich, Pierre Fournier, etc.  It is a great way to show what I am doing wrong technique wise, but also helps me improve on my phrasing.  Unfortunately, a couple of years ago I had suffered 5 strokes which has affected my motor skills and so now I feel like I am starting all over again.  However, the practicing is actually one of the greatest forms of rehab that I can think of :)  

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me about this fabulous phono stage with me.  I truly appreciate it!

Best Wishes,
Don