Trying to understand B&W’s trickle down strategy

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to understand what B&W's trickle down tech strategy actually means. I've searched the internet, but not much comes up. So I figured I'd try here instead.

Does the B&W approach e.g. mean that a modern entry level speaker such as the 606 S2 AE sounds as good as (or better) than the older high end Matrix 805?

I know there is a difference in the bracing of the cabinet (in which, as I understand it, the Matrix 805 is far superior). 

To my knowledge it would seem that a 606 S2 AE uses the same midrange as the 805 D3 - which is insane. I don't know about the tweeter though, but since the Matrix 805-design is 31 years old my guess is that the 606 S2-tweeter would also be trickled down several generations ago and that this newer one is as good as (or better) than the Matrix 805.

Is it only the drivers they are trickling down or is it also the crossovers and the whole technology here which tell the drivers how to interact?

I'm debating this because I'd like to know if my money is better spent on a used Matrix 805 than a new 606 S2 AE. The used price of the Matrix 805 is very similar to the new price of 606 S2 Anniversary Edition (at least where I live).

I hope someone can shed some light upon this issue - thanks!

rukiteriaq
I had a pair of 705s and also had a pair of 805s.

Both were brand new with a free return for refund. Only way to truly test a product is in your home. 

They both had the same mid driver but different tweeter.  Also the bass port was in the front vs the back. 

They both sounded fantastic and for the money I would choose the 705s.

However the 805s do add more definition and detail.  Probably not $3000 worth but after having both,  i did settle on the 805s.

If I didn't have both i would have settled on the 705.

It just shows that speaker technology is still advancing and newer is probably better. 

The 804D2’s were one of the best speakers they ever made...I should have kept them.  If you could get a pair of those, you would be set for life.  I have the 802D3’s currently, which are wonderful sounding...but if your budget is under $1000 the 606S2 is amazing for $899!  Music Direct 30day trial available...give them a spin.  I would get them over the Matrix 805’s any day.
60 day trial...sorry!  Also, they have Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers w/o stands $1198...wt $1498!  They are full range and could be a forever speaker for you...stands recommended.  Ask for 15% off
800 series floor: solid milled decoupled aluminum 
tube loaded diamond tweeter all models.
Solid milled decoupled aluminum turbine head on 800,802, 803 D3's
Decoupled Continum mid range driver: Matrix cabinet construction for bass speakers: Aerofoil designed bass design with a woven fabric proprietary material: 
804 do not have the turbine head and the 805 have single continuum driver.
700 series trickle down from 800's: 702 & 705 Have the solid milled aluminum tweeter tube. 702,703, 704 Floor standers have the decoupled continum midrange but no turbine head models & they use aerofoil designed bass drivers but cheaper material than what is used in the 800 series & no matrix construction: The 700 series tweeter is a decoupled design with an aluminum tweeter that is treated with fine layer of carbon: hence: the carbon tweeter to extend the breakup frequency & to smooth out the performance over the standard aluminum tweeter. 
The 600 series shares the continuum driver material & the B&W design team so there is continuity to the house sound when you travel up the line. It uses a decoupled aluminum tweeter minus the carbon tweeter & traditional bass drivers: The 700 series has a more solid cabinet construction & higher end furniture grade finishes with superior magnets in the drivers.
Hope this helps; I have been selling B&W for 10 years & have attended a number of their training events over the years.
You will really need to listen with your own ears to feel the difference. I manage to sit in front of the 600, 700 and the 800 series playing with the same song, amp & room. I can really hear the difference between each of them especially between the 600 and 700. Of course you also need to note the life span as well since the matrix is an older system. Best of luck!