Trying to understand B&W’s trickle down strategy

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to understand what B&W's trickle down tech strategy actually means. I've searched the internet, but not much comes up. So I figured I'd try here instead.

Does the B&W approach e.g. mean that a modern entry level speaker such as the 606 S2 AE sounds as good as (or better) than the older high end Matrix 805?

I know there is a difference in the bracing of the cabinet (in which, as I understand it, the Matrix 805 is far superior). 

To my knowledge it would seem that a 606 S2 AE uses the same midrange as the 805 D3 - which is insane. I don't know about the tweeter though, but since the Matrix 805-design is 31 years old my guess is that the 606 S2-tweeter would also be trickled down several generations ago and that this newer one is as good as (or better) than the Matrix 805.

Is it only the drivers they are trickling down or is it also the crossovers and the whole technology here which tell the drivers how to interact?

I'm debating this because I'd like to know if my money is better spent on a used Matrix 805 than a new 606 S2 AE. The used price of the Matrix 805 is very similar to the new price of 606 S2 Anniversary Edition (at least where I live).

I hope someone can shed some light upon this issue - thanks!

rukiteriaq
So if you can stand what comes out of the expensive ones this trickles down to where you can probably stand the cheap ones too.
Ha!  Too damn funny.  Obviously with the used 805s you have no idea if you’ll like them or not whereas at least you can hear the new models, which is not a small consideration at all especially with those older B&W metal tweets.  Rather than spending time weeding through B&W’s trickle tactics I’d strongly suggest you go listen to some other options as there’s a ton of strong competitors in this segment from the likes of Wharfedale, Elac, etc.  I’d mention the LSA-10 Signatures sold here new for $1399/pr that are in an entirely different league IMO, and they offer a trial period.  If you want to save some $ and willing to buy used there’s a nice pair of Silverline Minuet Supreme Pluses available on US AudioMart for $450 that also offer a high level of sound quality for their size/price.  Just some  thoughts FWIW, and best of luck in your search. 
Old is old. You may like it, but things, including speakers, have their expected lifespan.
Millercarbon,
    I don't think you understand how a river forms. Actually it's a trickle in the mountains and doesn't become a river until the lowlands.
Simply use your ears and stick to it. Always remember when it comes to manufacturers products of any sort.; - - - "MORE IS MORE, - -  and LESS IS LESS". Rarely does a product being promoted at a lower price level, perform better than one designed and marketed at a higher price level.

Of course, occasionally, there are exceptions. and this may be one (to your ears) This may not be any help, but it is almost always true. 
Be careful though, and consider the acoustical environment and source equipment that the speakers will be operating in concert with.  Demos rarely tell the whole story. Hopefully you are doing comparisons on your own turf with your own electronics and room environment.