What makes speaker's sound big?

Does a speaker need to have many drivers or a large driver area to sound big and fill the room?
I am asking this question because I have a pair of tekton design double impact and would like to replace them with smaller speakers and a pair of subwoofer's to better integrate the bass into my room.
I just borrowed a set of B&W 702S. The are good but the just don't make that floor to ceiling sound that I like.
Maybe I have already answered my own question (: But again I have not heard all the speakers out there.
My room measure 15x19' and the ceiling goes from 7.5 to 12.8'

martin-andersen
I don't listen to orchestral works often, but my little KEF Reference 1 monitors create a bigger soundstage and image better than any of the much larger speakers I've owned. Combining them with four subwoofers doesn't hurt either. 
I'll mention another element. Right amp makes speakers sound good and big ! Give speakers 'the current' !
Martin, no point source speaker is going to produce a life sized image. What you get out of them is a mini sound stage like you are sitting all the way in the back of the hall. Another problem is the sound pressure level of point source speaker drops of at the cube of the distance, very quickly. Linear Arrays or Line Source speakers produce a large image like sitting up front. Sound pressure levels drop of at the square of the distance, much slower so Line source speaker project sound better. In order to perform as line source a speaker has to be tall, preferably from floor to ceiling which unfortunately does not suit many people. Also unfortunately, everything else is just wishful thinking. You can be sitting in front of the biggest Wilson but close your eyes and you get the sound stage of any run of the mill floor stander. This is one of the reasons people love their Magnepans. Except in the bass Magnepans give a more life like sound stage because they function as line sources above 150 Hz.
Low distortion, low distortion on transients, wide dispersion, very low coloration, smooth FR.

many very small 2-way speakers with these qualities have an ability to sound HUGE and effortless.