Would you Upgrade?

Hi everyone, i'd like to get everyone's opinion on upgrading my set of loudspeakers.

I would be going from a pair of B&W 802D (the first of the diamond models, around 2010) to a pair of Focal Sopra 3's.

Is there much of an upgrade making this change?

I heard the Sopra's at an upscale dealer with a close to perfect setup: speakers about 15 feet from the front wall and about 10 feet from the side walls. Electronics were all Esoteric, including their $44,000 Grandiosa M1 monoblocks, preamp, cd player, power regenerator and $3,800 Cardas clear stereo speaker cables.

I'm not sure if these speakers would sound much different from my current 802D and my humble Classe CAM 100 monoblocks.

Also, how many years do speakers last before they degrade (speaker, crossovers, etc...)

thanks to everyone in advance.
onehorsepony
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve

The focal is a better design then your older loudspeakers however it comes down to what is the cost to swap and would making a change elsewhere give you a better return

When you heard the sopras  on a completely maxed out sound system that is probably why they sounded so good so you may want to look at your budget and you may consider upgrading your sources or preamp or both and then see if you can’t spark some new life out of your old speakers while laying the ground work for an even better speaker swap in the future

We have over 30 years of professional experience and a vast selection of hardware to play with to best advise our clients

We consult with people all over the world so please seek us out

We would recomend you also listen to the new paradigm persona series they are pretty remarkable and are even more transparent then the focals with unbelievable imaging

We are willing to bet if you heard the focal with your own gear you would like them better but would not be as bowled over as when you heard them on such an alaborate and expensive rig.

Dave and troy
Audio intellect nj

IMO, if you are buying an expensive piece of equipment from a local dealer, you should be able to get a home demo.  It is the only way for you to know.  Whether the speaker is "better" or not will depend to a very large degree on how it interfaces with your room.  I have had some great speakers in my room and they just didn't work acoustically and I had to get rid of them. Of course, the level of demo equipment matters and the dealer should be able to tell you whether your Classe amps would be a good match.  But the home demo is the only way, IMO. 
+1 @chayro 
When I made a choice of speakers, I tried out a number of options in home: Dynaudio, Martin Logan, Fritz Speakers, Focal, and finally Salk (which I kept). These speakers were fabulous, but not all worked in my space. Thank goodness I limited my choice to those I could try at home, because the room is a huge factor and the dealer experiences, while fun, did not tell me much compared to my room.

Where'd I get these to try? Well, a couple came from The Music Room, an excellent and reliable dealer of used and new gear, which tests and verifies all used gear AND allows a 14 day trial. I strongly recommend the values and trial option with them. Crutchfield is another company that enabled me to try Martin Logan ML 60 XTi speakers-- 100lbs each, shipped -- for 60 days and $10 each for shipping. I am not joking. They have a variety of very well-regarded brands, offer free shipping, and have great open box or scratch and dent options. They have both mid-market and higher end gear, so don't judge them too quickly as a mid-fi company. They have some great stuff and are great to work with.