Question on Streamer/Dac and Roon

I'm fairly new to digital and am building a system that's both MQA capable and Roon ready. I currently use a 2014 Mac Mini as roon server + streamer connected by USB to the Mytek Brooklyn Dac+, which then feeds balanced into a Mac pre and amp. I keep reading the mac mini is noisy as a streamer and hence the post. If I were to re-engineer a bit there are a couple of choices I can make, assuming my original goals of MQA and Roon remain. 

Should I:
1. Get a Lumin U1 mini, which can act as a Roon endpoint, and feed into the Mytek DAC (ESS 9028)
2. Combine the streamer and Dac functionality into the Lumin T2. I'm not sure if this is indeed a step up since the T2 also has the same ESS 9028 chipset as the Mytek. 
3. Keep the current setup and be done. 

I use the mac mini as the roon server, and that comes to my last question. If I get either of the Lumins, they would be the roon endpoint. I will still need the mac mini or a NUC to act as the roon server. I'm not able to comprehend the point of a streamer other than acting as an endpoint for Roon, sort of like a catcher to what Roon throws at it. If Roon is going to be the front end, does the Lumin really provide me with a benefit? I like the Roon software and being a lifetime member unlikely to switch over to the Lumin app. And I do not have Lumin dealers nearby to audition them. 

And some footnotes. I dont want to spend too much, the Lumin U1 mini or T2 is the max I would like to go, if I can justify their point of existence within my system. Also, not a Nucleus fan if a NUC can do the job for cheaper, and so can the mac mini. 

What would you do and why?

128x128rajivhifi
I am going to setup a RaspberryPI with a Benchmark DAC3 tomorrow for someone. I never used that streamer but it is supposed to be good and cheap.

3 - A Raspberry Pi Roon endpoint with OS based on ROPIEEE. This is the smaller box that is a Raspberry Pi. It is plug in and play and ready to go with the OS on it and configured.

An alternative approach is to simplify your setup by selling the MyTek DAC and using the MacMini with a ROON READY MQA DAC with built-in streaming., such as this one for $800. Do not let the low price fool you.
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-mini-i-pro-3-third-time-s-a-charm/

I have this DAC in my bedroom system. It is close in sound quality to my Benchmark DAC3B (which is similar to the MyTek).

In this setup you may want to also consider an EtherREGEN that some folks say cleans up Ethernet noise.

For my best streaming I use Fibre Optical wires to an Sonore OpticalRendu (no Ethernet). I have written a few posts on this. If you are interested look at my posting history.
That Mac Mini makes a nice Roon Core (Server and Streamer). Add an external hard drive to store your music files (if the size of your local library exceeds the size of the hard drive in the Mini).

The noise mentioned about the Mini (as I hear it) is when the fan on the Mini kicks in. This only happens with Roon if you’re doing upsampling or converting files to DSD. It can also happen if the Mini gets warm due to dust accumulating in the vents. If you don’t do any up conversion - just keep the vents clean around the Mini and you’ll be good; it will be silent.

Now if you are upconverting and the fan on the Mini kicks in and it annoys you, then you’ll need to move it someplace where you can’t hear it and get an endpoint for your listening space. But I’m not sure if it makes sense to up convert MQA files - most sound pretty darn good to me after decode and render.

I would try the setup you have now (Mini into Brooklyn +)  before spending any more money - it may be all you need. And, in my opinion, it's a sweet hookup.

Good luck,

Tom

PS: I’ve read a lot about how non-dedicated server/streamers are "noisy" because of all the other unrelated CPU processes being run. I’ve had no issues with my 2012 Mac mini running Yosemite. I sometimes stream video with it to the big TV (via HDMI output). I haven’t ever been able to hear that kind of noise (or fan noise) or experienced issues with the Mac Mini and streaming. Others may disagree and hear stuff - I don’t dispute that. Mine runs very well and I love how silent it is.
The biggest problems with any PC is the power supplies which are very noisy, and ground loops in the USB connection.

Your Mac mini will work fine as a Roon core, but I would recommend a streamer that is not directly attached.  If you are at all PC savvy, consider making a Roon endpoind out of a Pi 4 with Ubuntu.  That's what I use.