Why do you need so much power?

I have a basic question.  I have a set of Tannoys with 93dB sensitivity. I’m told that a 25 Wpc amp like the First Watt J2 can power it just fine. (I don’t crank it to 11.). Someone also suggested an Emotiva amp with 500W RMS. 

So my question. Assuming you have a good set of speakers that are efficient (>90) and you don’t crank it till it’s clipping, then do you ever need such power as the Emotiva?  Thanks!
ssmaudio
Robert Harley answered your question years ago:"If the first watt isn't any good, why would you want 200 more of them?"
Yeah well, that's also a load of ****
The first couple of watts in any a/b amp are usually the better sounding Class-A biased ones, naturally the rest in Class-B are not as good, as they have a bit of crossover distortion in them

Cheers George
Raven CeLest towers with a Raven Blackhawk MK3 and I have 20W of musical heaven.

My 20 will smoke that Emotive 500.
Perhaps for the size of the room. When listening point is 2m away from the speakers your your speakers will deliver 93dB from just 1W. There will be 6dB drop for double the distance, but 3dB gain from room reflections and another 3dB from the presence of the second speaker resulting in unchanged 93dB at 1W. For the loudest forte of the orchestra (that your neighbors just adore, I’m sure) you don’t need more than 103dB resulting in 10W of required power. In larger room when you’re at 4m distance you will need 40W. My friends have very large room, open to the large kitchen with listening position likely around 8m - they would need at least 160W. Speakers that are 3dB less efficient, like mine, would require in that room 320W. Also, maximum amplifier power is specified usually at 4 ohm load and only half of that for 8 ohms.
1000W is overkill in any (other than ballroom) room, unless "When I listen to Black Sabbath, my neighbors listen with me". Sometimes people want more power for the amp to be universal (play with any speakers in the future) or to stay away from higher distortions at max power. I’ve seen 300W amp specification with small note: "at 10% THD".

PS: Watt is watt. There is no RMS watts or RMS power. Average power (sum of momentary powers) is the one that is equivalent in heat to one produced by DC. Pavg=Vrms*Irms
It depends on the speakers, how loud you want to go, how large the room is and how far back you sit.
Also the recording.

It’s like driving a car. more horsepower makes for a faster and more responsive ride on any road.

Clipping is hifi public enemy #1. Avoid at all costs. Extra power rather than not enough is your insurance policy against clipping at a minimum.