Equal $$ for Phono OR Streaming?

Consider the following situation. A friend who's watched me put together my system has decided to follow suit. He's inherited some very good speakers and amplification (no DAC) from a relative and has about wants to finish out the main elements of the system with the best possible source. He has about $4-6k to spend and wishes to spend it on either a phono stage/TT combo OR a DAC/streamer combo. (For content, he is willing to spend either on vinyl or streaming services to fulfill whichever path he chooses above.)

Focusing simply on the potential for sonic quality (rather than, say, the variety of music one can stream), where do you think his money would best be spent and why? Could he reach the same outcomes after spending on a TT, cartridge, phono stage, record cleaner, isolation table and all the other accoutrements necessary for a good phono set up as he could if he bought a good DAC, streamer, etc.?

If your tastes weigh so heavily toward analog or digital that you can simply decide this without considering the details of the comparison, please try to set those aside and answer based on what he might be able to get for $4-6k.

128x128hilde45
He should buy a $600 Bluesound Node 2i, subscribe to streaming service and live with that combo while he contemplates his next move.  
@testpilot Good answer to the question, "What should he do while waiting for answers on the forum."
“Focusing simply on the potential for sonic quality....Could he reach the same outcomes after spending on a TT, cartridge, phono stage, record cleaner, isolation table and all the other accoutrements necessary for a good phono set up as he could if he bought a good DAC, streamer, etc.?”

Great question @hilde45. The answer is YES! On a good setup, the streaming is equally satisfying if not better as Vinyl is on a good TT / phonostage.

Couple of things to keep in mind before investing into Analog. The cost of ownership far exceeds of any music formats (CD, Vinyl, Streaming). Analog requires ongoing commitment, one needs to be ready to spend money on maintenance and software (LP’s).

Aside from initial investment on Analog hardware, I have spent over $3500 in 115 LP’s in last 5 months. The cost of streaming in comparison - $62.45. A $12.49 monthly fee of streaming opens door to unlimited music, whereas one need to spend thousands to build a decent physical music library. 
Then there is simplicity factor, a one box streamer / DAC / Pre straight to amp. And you’re done! 

As to which format I prefer....I say no preference. Each format has its strength and weaknesses. I equally enjoy streaming, spinning a CD or Vinyl.