Do you let the turntable spin when putting down record and attach the clamp.

Either turn off table between each record side,
or keep it turned on - unscrew the clamp, put record down, clamp and play record.

Thank you.
dcaudio
Whenever you que up a record with the platter spinning, with or without a clamp/weight, you increase your chance of an accident. 
To bad nobody makes a DD table with an adequate suspension and vacuum clamping with a platter thick enough to keep the cartridge away from the motor

Obviously you know nothing about reference Direct Drive turntables. Some of them are suspended like Luxman PD-444, some have vacuum pump and specially designed platter like Victor TT-801 and others.

If someone really need suspended DD they could buy isonoe feet here.

Some reference superheavy direct drive have built-in springs like this. 

What DD do you have in mind when you post bad things about DD in general?

What about chain drive tables? Personally the rattling bugs me. Also, I have an ancient but simple Linn Basik/Akito and turn it off when changing records, especially since I use a Mitchell "Rega" clamp. It runs perfectly and should continue doing so well into the next couple of decades, although I do need to replace the cueing damping fluid...that's #497 on my list of things to do, and I'm only up to 12.
Whenever you que up a record with the platter spinning, with or without a clamp/weight, you increase your chance of an accident.

If one can't change records and cue the tonearm with a rotating platter, one should probably stick to seedees.

I imagine these are the same people we see driving around alone in a car wearing a face diaper.

Oz

If one can't change records and cue the tonearm with a rotating platter, one should probably stick to seedees.

I imagine these are the same people we see driving around alone in a car wearing a face
Based on your avatar and comment, one can assume that you’re a night club DJ, therefore, I bow to your experience