Simple, small footprint tube preamp ?

Please be kind. I'm pretty ignorant about computer audio. My source is a laptop, into a Sabre DAC, to the amplifiers. 
I'm wondering if there is a more simple, small footprint tube preamp that could be set on my desk near the laptop? I'd prefer to be able to tube roll, but know NOTHING about this really. I'd prefer to spend less that $500, but $1000 is okay. Normal sized chassis will not work in my application. Kits are okay too. Thank you
flaxxer
We started 'making' one recently. Actually I built it to be a small amp for my bedroom system. It make 5 watts per channel. I didn't want a cheap SET; I wanted something that was low distortion to full power (SETs aren't), wouldn't be making a lot of heat and would fit on a sheet of paper with room to spare. This started as a one-off but it was almost the same money to get 10 chassis built as it was for one. So I guess we've got a small tube amp now. Mine was done in blue; we're also doing chrome and black. Here's a link:
https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/27/273326.html
We've not announced this as a product. My goal was to make something that wasn't made of cheap parts so it would be reliable- I didn't want it to be getting into trouble if I fell asleep listening to it at night. So its built with nice parts throughout, unlike a lot of the inexpensive fare coming from China at this point. Its also low distortion, and I've compared it to SETs of the same power; in a nutshell SETs are physically larger and don't sound as musical.
atmasphere9,154 posts02-15-2021 10:26amWe started 'making' one recently. Actually I built it to be a small amp for my bedroom system. It make 5 watts per channel.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I really like your approach, cute little unit. Your getting 5-8 watts with 3 12AX7s and they don't run out of gas like a SET... That is cool.. My biggest complaint about SET, they sound great until they don't.
 If you keep turning them up.. I continue to loose more and more interest..

Single ended is ok, BUT I'm still a push pull guy. Some I like a LOT more than others and inherently, run cooler..

Compliance and heat are the issue for sure with SET.. If your gonna sell the stuff, anyways.. 

What about a cool dozen for the driver valves..  15-20 watts? Be a looker for sure, SR71 stuff... Desk top V24? :-) Now I got an Idea.

A 5U4 and OA3 valve (glow tube) for a quieter ride yet? Might have to do that twice, but I bet with a 12 pack of 12AT, X, Y, Z or 12BHs, Things could get lively.  I think I would like the look and idea V12 or 24. Be nice to be able to bias lower for a lower valve count, like Cary does. Great idea. Can run 2, 4, or 6 valves per rail, just by re-bias. Maybe in quads.
50.00 - 100.00 quads are quite plentiful. 3 sets of quads per side.. or just 1 set with a re-bios. Sure look cool!..

Wow volcano mouth, eruption!!! Clear the joint out...:-)

Regards
@ atmasphere, are you saying I should use you amp as a preamp?
@ oldhvymec, I apologize for my ignorance, but you lost me.
I may not have made myself very clear. I should have said, I am inquiring about the really small, and cheap tube preamps like sold on Amazon under $100. These pretty much fit in your hand almost. I'm wondering if there is anything like these, only truly well made with quality parts? They are perfect for a laptop system, in size. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CLCQZN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_K9C1VTPWTCHKJZ46A5FN?_encoding=UTF8&...
Hi, flaxxer.
Check out the Schiit Saga+ as mlsstl suggested.
atmasphere and hvy are simply having a friendly side chat.