How does Donald Fagen do it?

It seems, to my ears, that Donald Fagen is able to get an amazing sound out of a mixing board, much better than other producers can.  I have read that he is a perfectionist and uses extreme attention to detail when in the studio.  Do you notice the same thing in his recordings?  A shout out to the late Walter Becker too.
128x128mikeydee
check out Becker on 11 Tracks of Whack. Of course there is variability across the Dan and solo catalog....but ah, the music.....
I was never really a fan of Becker’s solo efforts. However, he did a great job producing Donald Fagen’s ‘Kamakiriad’. I like all of Fagen’s solo records except for ‘Sunken Condos’ which to me doesn’t even sound like Fagen. Can’t wait to hear from the Steely Dan band.
@goofyfoot  - I saw Steely Dan (Fagen and Becker) about 3 years ago w/Steve Winwood. Fantastic show! Much better than I was expecting. Loved the Dan and Winwood was fantastic too.
reubent,  l love Traffic and Blind Faith so I want to see Fagen and Winwood but I’m not sure what’s happening given my location and the COVID.
Who knows what summer will bring. The show is currently on the schedule for my local outdoor theater. Hopefully we get to hear some live music this year. But I wouldn't bet on it.....