preamp and dac volume

My ESS Sabre based DAC has the volume implementation. DAC volume goes from 0-100. For a long time I ran it with the DAC at 100 and controlled the volume solely with the Pre. I just recently moved the DAC to about 88 and turned the volume up a bit on the Pre. I think I like it much better this way. What do you peeps do who gots a DAC with volume and a Pre?

UPDATE: just found the other thread on this and going through it now.
128x128jbuhl

jbuhl

Why don’t you try just using the dac and it’s volume control direct to poweramp, with no preamp in the way, which cause colourations, distortions, and less detail anyway.??
If you give it a go, let us know at what volume 0-100 your using for good loud level?

Cheers George
I have done that before.  As  a matter of fact I can go balanced in that config.    I got the Pre in there cause it's got a decent phono stage and Mullard Tubes.  I give it a try over next couple days and get back here.

I give it a try over next couple days and get back here.
Be interesting to see where your volume level is for loud listening direct to amp, using balanced and also rca

Cheers George

I go 100 but if you like 88 better with yours it’s kosher. I also go 100 with all streamers (one has a hardware pot.) For a while I went lower on DAC  to match phono.  No change in SQ. Now phono has adj. gain setting.