Upgrade cartridge or something else?

Here's a friend's turntable:

Current model Rega P3 with the RB330 arm. It has been upgraded with the Groovetracer Reference sub-platter, the Rega tungsten counterweight, the Rega white belt and the Rega Neo PSU speed controller along with a linear power supply upgrade.

The first cartridge was the Rega Elys 2. The Elys 2 was replaced by the Clearaudio Performer ($400 at that time), which was a definite improvement in sound quality.

Do you think that this table is where it should be or should the Clearaudio Performer be upgraded and if so, what would the practical dollar limit be in this case? Should he consider doing something else instead?

Thank you for your input.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmwh777
With turntables it's the whole front end, which includes the phono stage, which you didn't mention. 

Another very important one you don't mention is how and what it is being used with. No not the music. Is it on a rack? Shelf? What have you done to the arm?  

None of this would matter, except that your question is, "what is the smarter expenditure?" If what you listed is what you have then almost always "the smarter expenditure" is to upgrade what you have, and not by replacing it but by making it better.  

A set of Townshend Pods under that table will be at least as big an upgrade as you are talking about with cartridges. The Benz Glider jjss49 recommends is a fine cartridge, loved mine, but you will get pretty much the same level of improvement with Pods. The difference being the Glider wears out and gets tossed or sold off. The Pods get used pretty much forever. That to me is the smarter expenditure.  

Another good one, fO.q tape. This stuff is crazy expensive, as tape goes, $60-70 for two sheets. But it is absolutely amazing how effective it is, which makes it cheap in terms of results. I cut a tiny little piece to stick on the headshell of my Origin Live Conqueror arm, so the Koetsu mounts to it instead of the headshell. One small strip about 1/4" wide runs along the under side of the arm tube. Several more small bits are stuck onto the arm base. Altogether this is only about 10% of one sheet but the improvement is like going to a whole new cartridge!  

Could do more but I like to hide it. Look at picture #40 on my system page to see what I'm talking about. You cannot see this stuff at all in any of the other photo's. No one will ever notice it. Arm looks totally stock. It does not sound stock! Tweaks have elevated this rig way beyond anything you would ever expect just to look at it! https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 Anyone can do this. You can do this. Almost always "the smarter expenditure" way to go.

Unless there is something you don't like about your Clearaudio, which you didn't mention. My view is never go shopping for anything until you know what you want, and how it will be not only different but better than what you have. The advantage of the upgrades I've mentioned is they won't really change the sound you have now. They will mostly make it a whole lot better. Pods will give more and better bass, and a bit smoother more natural top end. But they will not change the character the way you will notice if going to say a Benz Glider. 

It you are tired of the CA sound and want richer and warmer and more refined, a sound that draws you in more, then a Glider is a great way to go. But if you like what you have now and just want "more" of it then Pods and tape will get you there too, and for less.
When you have a product as good as the Teo Audio CBP cartridge at the ridiculous price and a money back guarantee that they are selling it for, it would be shameful not to bring it up. Just sayin. enjoy the music

So going forward, this is the gold standard for advertising in the discussion forums? I'm glad you said something so now I will just hawk anything I have for sale in here. tooblue said it was ok.......

Oz

@ozzy62 , I didn't know we needed permission from anyone to have an opinion, but I will check with you in the future so not to offend the people policing these things. Enjoy the music
 I didn't know we needed permission from anyone to have an opinion, but I will check with you in the future so not to offend the people policing these things. Enjoy the music
@tooblue You missed the point entirely. But thanks for playing.........