Canine Listeners?

Does anybody have a pup who actively listens to their system?

Years ago we had two labs.  They were my listening buddies in the sense that when I sat down for music time, they curled up on the couch and provided lovely furry company.

Last week we brought home a 7.5 week-old lab puppy.  The very first night at home, I sat him down on the couch and put on some jazz at medium volume, maybe 70-75 dB.  He perked up immediately and sat in my lap in the sweet spot.  Baby pups seem to have an attention span of about two minutes, but the little guy sat in rapt attention for almost half an hour!  He wasn't asleep, wasn't going crazy.  Calmly listening!  He was surfing that fine line between curiosity and fear, and my lap made a safe place from which to do it.   A trumpet in the left channel would captivate him, then he'd dart his head to a drumkit on the other side of the soundstage:  "Hello hi-hat!"  

It was as if I could watch his tiny-baby neurons firing away.  "Dad, why the hell is a saxophone in the room?"  Then, "DAD, WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL IS A SAXOPHONE?"

I keep waiting for him to get a bit jaded by it all and lose that sense of wonder.  But for three more nights in a row now, he's remained transfixed by the sound floating out of the speakers.

What are your dogs like at music time?
cymbop
My two German Shepherds love “tune time”.  They are always with me while listening. 
So we had to put down our Jack a couple months back. He was 16 years old and we finally did it only once he was basically out of it totally and not interested in even eating anymore.

He stopped showing interest in the music around the same time as he lost interest in chasing balls, squirrels, foxes, etc. So it seemed basically an age thing. He was tuned into the music still as recently as say two years ago. Of course all dogs are different but I’d say he definitely lost interest gradually in most things over time including eventually even food. Standard stuff with age I would say for dogs and similarly even humans I would say.

Also I should mention his hearing was not good for the last year or so, only reacting to very loud startling noises (he stopped being afraid of thunder which used to drive him as far as into seizures on occasion) so likely the decline in interest in music corresponded to hearing loss. His eyes were sharp up until the end though.

When he heard the music on the Ohms though, he laid there calmly intently focused on the music as evidenced by his ear twitches and head movements corresponding to what was played where in the soundstage. Jack Russell Terriers are highly wired dogs so that is no easy feat. HE was clearly focusing in on different elements of the recording that got his attention at different times as it played. He loved classical music and Bach in particular.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3SVwibiSkBMbTven6

Note his "sweet spot" for listening. A sweet spot with imaging and soundstage only possible with very wide dispersion speakers like Ohms so that helps explain his interest.

It used to be fun playing "Seamus" from Pink Floyd Meddle album. He thought it was a live dog and responded appropriately coming to alert and barking back.

Dogs. Gotta love ’em...
Oh Bam Bam!  I'm sorry for your loss, mapman.  Your story gives me hope that little Steve might retain his audio interest into adulthood.
Thanks. He was a very good and very smart dog. Scary smart! My wife and daughter miss him most. She is a tough judge but refers to him as the perfect dog and hard to argue with that.

If one can get their dog to listen to music on their hifi with them, then I would say things are going well in many ways and life is good in yet another way for at least some short period of time.
Thanks @cymbop , we've gotten pictures of the litter she had a week ago and are anxious to meet our next family member. It's been a long time since I've had a puppy as we adopted our last lab when she was two. Sorry for your loss @mapman , it's such a hard thing to go through. I don't have any children of my own so they become them and while I know it can't be compared to losing a real child it's still very tough. Our Sammy was familiar with Seamus as well but not knowing dog language intimately not sure if she was responding happily.