PS Audio BHK 250 - Is it still a good amp?

I want to move away from tube power amps, but not tubes in source components.
Have read so much good about the BHK 250, but it’s an old lady now, and I wounder if there is something better out there for the same money.

This is what I want form a new amp.
  • Power to drive any speaker
  • Sound that reassembly tubes
  • In the same price range as the BHK

My current speakers are the Tekton DI, 4 ohm with a sensitivity of 96db. Would like to have a amp that can drive a 87 db speaker.
I also don’t want think about replacing expensive tubes, and live with the heat the generate.
There are many used BHK 250 in the states, But I live in Denmark and there are not many used BHK's in Europe

I would like to thank the audiogon community for there knowledge and there willingness to share and help, your are the best (:Just hope that we will get an updated platform to work on. The Audiogon software is so yesterday.
Wish you all a Happy New Year
martin-andersen
I just got a low mile BHK 250 to replace an Audio Research Ref 150.  Took me a minute to adjust to the not as buttery top end but now I’m really liking it.  Lower heat, better bass, great mid and smooth top end. Has the Tungsram tubes.  I think this will do until i can afford a used ARC Ref 160 S. My speakers are Vandersteen Treo CTs. Good luck!
I also have doubts about the BHK 250. Having heard about blowing fueses at the RMAF 14 and some owners did have issues with it.
I also have doubts about beind stable into 1 ohm or less.
Mosfets can be quite fragile at phase angles and so on. However, old amps designed between 1980 and 1990 ( like Threshold) don’t have this issue at all.
You can still use a great tube and hybrid preamp and rebuilt these old beasts, so for me there is no need to buy a BHK.
As I said above, my BHK 250 has been used to drive Magneplanar 3.7i’s and 1.7i’s with no issues at all.
I use a BHK 250 with a Pass preamp to drive a pair of Rockports, very nice combination for me.  I also replaced an ARC REF 150SE with this amp.  I don't miss the large, hot power tubes of that amp.  To me, the sound is pretty similar.   The Pass preamp adds a bit of etch and detail.  My pursuit of the best power amp for my system is over.
I have finally found a used set. The BHK250 and pre can really play music. Happy with my purchase