Mono vs. Stereo

I've been wondering for some time what the sound difference and listening experience is between Mono and Stereo.  Let me acknowledge first off that I have not done an A-B comparison since I do not have both Mono and Stereo of the same release.  At least I don't think I do.  Would appreciate a couple of thoughts on the difference.  If someone has a good link to a source write-up, that would be appreciated as well.  

I've heard folks say the mono versions are better, but again, never did the A-B comparison.  

Thanks in advance.
pgaulke60
Thanks to you all for your thoughts.  Very helpful for me. 

I will investigate my Mac PreAmp for those adjustments @elliotbnewcombjr.  Is that your Phono PreAmp or system PreAmp that you reference?

I also like the idea of a mono cartridge.  I'll have to figure out how many Mono LPs I have in the collection.  Currently listening to the whole collection A>B.  I've been thinking of getting a dual arm turntable so when I play my LPs from high school I don't toast my best cartridge.  Also looking at a cartridge for 45's and 10" recordings.  My cache of 78's really doesn't warrant the expense of getting a 78 cartridge (never play them).

But, again, thanks for chiming in with very productive thoughts.  Much appreciated
OK Now, One Speaker as Erik Mentioned:

I played an awesome Mono Charlie Parker

https://www.discogs.com/Charlie-Parker-The-Fabulous-Bird/master/479890

a. via Mono Cartridge, preamp stereo mode, dual mono both speakers.

b. via Mono Cartridge, McIntosh Preamp Mode Switch L+R to L, it was better from only 1 speaker.

c. via Mono Cartridge, Mode Switch Stereo, balance control full left, also better than Mono from two speakers.

So, Assuming Mono Cartridge, to get only 1 speaker:

IF you don't have a Mode Switch, but do have a balance control, that does it.

Or, can you somehow disable one speaker? Try it once at least,

Erik mentioned One CENTERED Speaker. That would not be possible for me and I suspect most.

I have my speakers toed in and simply used a speaker away from but near a corner, the one diagonally away from my mono listening position (which is not centered) further away from my normal listening position, it sounded great. One speaker does produce more distinction than dual Mono. I think it is a mistake to listen from your normal 'perfect' listening position, the habit of seeking imaging is strong, and any slight drifting from center is distracting.

Thanks Erik
Wouldn't it be different depending on the sound source? I think it would be better to listen to it on a mono channel if it was based on an output device like mono radio in the past. To add one more thing, the person who makes the music once told me that it is easy to balance using the mono channel.
My speakers are hard to balance to each other, two attenuators, 1 for horn tweeter, 1 for mid horn. You cannot have certain frequencies going off center sporadically. i.e. Casandra Wilson’s (other singer’s) voice, any Piano,

I love my McIntosh Mode Control as an assist in blending my Speakers frequency performance L to R, as well as volume balance.

Stereo Reverse is a great tool. Mono, L+R to L; ....
Expanding on this, what about repressings that are done in Mono? For Example, just picked up the Stones' Let It Bleed box.  It has 180gr pressing of the Mono and Stereo versions.  (Haven't played it yet.) I assume that my existing stereo cartridge would work fine on this mono repressing?  Does that make sense?  I've never read that mono repressings have the same groove metrics of an original mono pressing.