A stupid question for which there's no sensible answer.

I know, I know. At least I've labeled it properly.

Here goes: of the following elements of a system, how would you rank their influence on the sound? In other words, generally, which would someone want to upgrade or prioritize, and in what order,  if all of the following pieces were inferior to an amp/preamp and speakers they were happy with? Power cables, connector cables. speaker cables. streaming source, music source, dac (I vote for this one as #1), room treatment, speaker placement, type of chair, earwax quotient, what you ate for lunch, etc.

I hereby give my permission for everyone to tell me this is an idiotic question since the real answer is: it depends. (But I did put a "generally" in there somewhere). Anyway, I prefer that we debate this based on what we've experienced when we've tinkered. So I guess I'm really interested in anecdotes.

128x128m669326
Mijostyn: I never heard of Alpha USB, or any other devices serving that purpose. I can't afford one, but I wonder if a cheaper iteration would make a difference as I'm streaming directly from a Mac to a DAC. I gather that the sound degrades coming out of standard USB connections?
1. Speakers, flatter the response and wide dispersion the better
2.Room
3.integrate 1 and 2 with proper treatment and PEQ. 
4. Amp, preamp, source or better yet get active speakers 
5. Dac for digital. Cables are irrelevant as long as they work. USB is fine as long as your DAC is of competent build. 

You say you're going from computer to DAC if you can hear noise  caused by grounding issues or if the computer interferes with playback it might be worth getting an inexpensive streamer.
1. The room (50%)
2. The setup (20%)
3. The speakers (20%)
4. All the rest (10%)
Thanks, all. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about this. It's easy to find reviews of all the individual components of a system, and also which preamps, amps, and speakers match well, but I'm left making assumptions about the holism of it all.