Ok to adjust balance to achieve center vocal image?

I have an all analog tube vinyl system and don’t remember having to adjust my balance setting in order to achieve a center vocal image. I do now though. I’m getting a left leaning vocal image with the balance set to zero. Is there a good way to see if this can be fixed so I don’t need to balance adjust to achieve a center vocal image? Could it be a preamp tube going out? Something else? Any harm in just continuing to adjust the balance - meaning am I experiencing any signal loss doing so? 
Thanks! Paul
paulgardner
Lots of great ideas here to try by process of elimination. I will get to work with swapping cables, speakers, tubes and adjusting VTA and cartridge set up. Thank you all for the ideas. Much appreciated!!
Hello,
Tubes are a fast wearable item compared to caps. The Rouge preamps have an elaborate balance system. I would think it is for this purpose. Besides, who says you cannot listen the way you prefer to listen. I have a Shiit Loki equalizer for changing the sound on our “remastered” or bastardized recordings. What’s next, people saying power cables make an audible difference? They definitely do unless you bought your system at a truck stop. If it sounds good to you that is all that matters. 
Azimuth will not affect channel  balance, it will affect tracking and record wear but not balance.  Nor will VTA, but never hurts to double check cart alignment especailly if you haven’t in a while for overall sonics.  I would check all cable connections including your cartridge pins and obviously tubes.

But do not be afraid to use your balance control, and adjust speaker toe in and distance from the front wall where the balance is off.   Annoying I know! 

The OP states that he has a "left leaning" vocal image.  Is everything leaning left or just the vocals?  My experience is that many recordings have the vocal image where it should be in space which is not necessarily dead center.

Second question is: When did this change or when did you become aware of it? 

Regards,
barts