The Decline of the Music Industry

Click bait for sure!  Actually, this is Frank Zappa's opinion on why the industry declined, but if I would have put his name in the title, many would have skipped over it.  I personally never connected with Zappa's music, but I do agree with what he has to say here.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowCEiZkU70
chayro
He says that all was going well when artist created and man with cigars let them do in the sixties....Censors comes in the music industry first it seems after that...

In reality it begins in Hollywood first before that , but with censors from an apparent opposite ideology... 😁

«Censorship controls (power) is the same office for Heaven or for Hell, it is more economical this way... »- Anonymus No Name

«The seeds of decline are in the fruit of maturity»-Anonymus Smith

«Do you mean i cannot remarry at my age?»-Groucho Marx
When Stalin and Hitler decided that Composers should only write works that enhanced their own agendas, and killing the non conformists, Classical Music began a slow death
Censorship is not the exact word for understanding Hitler and Stalin country...

When you risk your life composing, like Shostakovitch, you censor yourself FIRST, like he did... You dont wait to be censored....The real censors work less....

And when you are there, Art is already dead anyway....

Censorship is a mild way; between permissivity, and total freedom, and exil and execution....

There is a subtle censorship emerging in America today....No execution of writers for the time being in US. tough , no forced exil of artist also.... No samizdat....Nor any forced emigration of " Einstein" like scientists in mass and hundred of artists and scientists coming from the US to Canada for example, an other country very fond of subtle censorship now....For the time being for sure.... 😁 We dont know tomorrow....

Is a new dictatorship never seen before coming? With new subtle form of censorship: a new king of auto-censorship like Stalin and Hitler never dreamed of ?

Reading Aldous Huxley i think so....I see an economical-technocratical censorship head proposing his horns and workin in a reverse censorship, erasing all boundaries between private life and public life....Tomorrow our toughts will never be ours only....You dont see it? Being alone and because you are alone, you will be the suspect...

I go back to undeclined music.... Too frightened... 😊
I don’t necessarily think the music industry has declined as much as it has lost some of its relevance to some people and even some musicians. Especially with the internet. There is so much out there and so many ways for people to hear and experience great new music of all kinds whether released by a major industry record label or not. Imagine if Zappa was around today!  I remember when Zappa was selling albums by mail order through cassette cd and record sleeves. You had to fill out a form and mail it somewhere with a check enclosed! I think he really would have liked YouTube and other platforms to get his music out. 
Zappa (rightfully) had a major beef with the Parents Music Resource Center PMRC which he references at the end of the clip. The PMRC went under in the 90s I think and now we have Cardi B singing about her WAP. Which I think is awesome. I’ve never heard the song but it made a good meme.  You don’t need to hide your satanic lyrics by backmasking anymore. Rob Halford was THE DEVIL back in the day, now he is more village people than Anton LaVey. The kardahians wear satanic and pagan symbology on their t shirts without realizing that kids were completely ostracized for liking slayer and Iron Maiden as recently as 30 years ago. 
Subtle censorship and cancel culture is not something I am well versed in. I feel like there is danger there but I can’t put my finger on it (perhaps this is an illustration of how insidious it is).  But I don’t think the PMRC would be too happy to see WAP get so much traction (so to speak).   
I pray daily for a frank zappa box set.
  The complete Zappa studio recordings”

maybe some day, any longer, and all his fans will be dead.