Newbie Can't Decide Which Tube Amp

Just had a Bottlehead tech build me a BeePre preamp and an MM phono. My speakers are Sonus Faber Concertos Homage (rated at 87dB sensitivity) and my budget is $4K- give or take. I am not much of a bass person. Mostly classical, appreciate the Blues, Latin, and occasional classic rock. The tech is adamant that I look for a used EAR 534.

I appreciate your feedback in advance.
ckenr

If you have a line OP on a Carver Crimson 275 for ~$2K, you should give it a go. I have heard it and have it. I’m running it in comparison to two other awesome amps, an Elekit 300B and a Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated. The Carver Crimson 275 is a special amp and at that price it’s worth a test drive. Shoot, if you don’t like it, I’ll buy it off you for that!

@jbhiller

inquiring minds want to know - how does the carver compare to the primaluna you mention?

pls disclose tubes used in both, and what speakers driven ... thanks
jss49,  The Carver Crimson 275 compares very favorably with the Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated.  

Folks sometimes don't like conclusions that end with, "they are both very good amps", but it's true here. 

The Carver is smooth, strong, warm and behaved.  It has a deeper soundstage than the Primaluna (but I have it biased low for that) and nice holographic 3 dimensional character.  The Carver is clear and warm sounding.  It has a different take on detail than the Primaluna, which I cannot quite put into words yet.  Again, both are great. 

I'm running the Carver stock with KT120s and Tung Sol 12AX7 and 12AT7.  The Primaluna is running either KT150s or 7581s.  I have two nice military spec'd Mullards in the two gain positions, and a fleet of 4 Gold Lions for the driver tubes.  

I can lift the Carver up by its chrome rail with a finger.  The Primaluna is back breaking.  Somehow Bob found a way to keep this amp feather light yet it competes with amps that have big iron.  

If I were hypothetically talking to a younger person who was looking to get into great tube sound, I'd say buy the Carver and run a DAC that has a preamp function. You'd be off and running.  Later, you could add vinyl, a bona fide preamp, etc. 

I'm using Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers.  

Footnote:  I broke down and bought the Carver because I need a dedicated amp for a preamp project that I'm finishing.  I simply couldn't get enough information online about the Carver so I took the leap.  
jbhiller

thanks for your thoughts

will keep the carver on the 'to try' list, pick one up at some point

i hear you on the backbreaking weight of typical tube amps.... love my linear tube audio for that reason, among others... it is very light, so easy to handle - sounds like the carver is similar (although i am under the impression does run standard metal transformers...)
ckenr

Any discussion is going to get responses written to you, anybody who might be following, and answers irrelevant to your question(s).

I read that 8-12 wpc post, totally irrelevant to your original post. You/we can gain from reading irrelevant posts, but you need to stay on point.

A lot of people here like that Carver Crimson 275 and think it is enough for your speakers.