Does it annoy you when companies don't show the internals of electronics ?

I noticed that merrill audio and mcintosh general don't show all the internals of their electronics. A friend of mine actually asked merrill to see pics of the internals of their amps and pres. The remark from merrill... 'people listen to how they sound they don't look at whats inside.'

But why hide it? Are they trying to protect some secrets of their tech? Might as well just show it... if you have dones something truly exceptional people will appreciate that and its going to be that easy to rip off.
smodtactical
I own four EAR products (use only 2 now).  They are brilliantly designed but use much less than SOTA parts.  All on circuit boards.  So what?  They sound great and are priced well below SOTA comparables.   They have good looks as well.   Using a 50% markup and 50% profit margin, it is difficult to image EAR making much money per unit.  They are built in the UK not China.  Labor costs are significantly higher.   Just remember, like PNB products, the cost is about 25% of the retail price and the manufacturer only gets 25% of the price as their profit.

What has a bigger impact on sound, architecture or components and assembly?
Architecture.  I had a Muse Signature 9 CD player decades ago.   It was mediocre sounding, totally inferior to so many other players I tried after I bought it on a recommendation without hearing it (I won't do that again).  It was beautifully constructed.  Assembly is probably the least important although the Muse had a good transport.  However, component quality and assembly count towards longevity of the product.
First, lets assume this isn't a world of Covid 19 and that you have dealers nearby that you can go to and listen.

Taking away from the WAF outside looks, you are listening to the equipment/system first.  If you are happy with that, most times, that is the number one influence.  A lot of us buy from companies that they are already familiar with, so what's inside has to do with your knowledge of that company.  The quality of their work, sound, etc.

When you buy a car, what are you looking for?  Interior, yes, you can see.  But, engine bay?  you can't get past all the plastic covering the engine bay, so you won't see the engine at all.  

Being an Engineer, I like to see internals and also schematics to see the quality of the design and construction.  However, this is not my number one criteria for purchasing.  Sound quality (does it better my existing piece and takes me closer to "there"?), costs, and reputation of the company (do they stand by their equipment?  do they have a solid reputation on repairing their equipment?

I have seen expensive equipment that had just about nothing inside.  A small transformer and circuit board.  Doesn't faze me.  Because, I'm still listening to the equipment first vs what I know or currently own. 

So, no, I'm not annoyed when companies don't show the internals.

enjoy