Biographies

Please share your favorite biographies of composers, singers, performers, songwriters, etc.

I am on page 111 of Thayer's life of Beethoven. 

(And a book on Evangelical Theology.)
jpwarren58

I am currently reading Sandra B. Tooze's biography of Levon Helm. Fan-freaking-tastic! She had previously written Muddy Waters: The Mojo Man, which I guess will be next.

Robbie Robertson's Testimony is excellent, much better than I had anticipated. It's the most complete accounting of The Band I've read. Another very good book on them is The Story Of The Band by Harvey Kubernik.

Outlaw Blues by Paul Williams is a compilation of the essays the author wrote for Crawdaddy magazine in the late-60's. Two chapters provide the best behind-the-scene reporting on the recording of Smile, the aborted concept album undertaken by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks in 1966-7, published as the recordings were taking place. Essential reading imo. 

2 coffee table book R&R suggestions

Jimi Hendrix-Keith Shadwick
According to the Rolling Stones-by the boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE5ROl2YPbs

A sad event in Beethoven life is him not knowing how amazing his performance of the 9th was.

"Beethoven’s deafness created one of the most touching stories in music. When the symphony was completed, he remained facing the orchestra and could not hear the thunderous applause of the audience for his new symphony. Caroline Unger, the mezzo-soprano soloist, had to tap the deaf composer’s arm and have him turn around so that he could see how the crowd’s response. Many of those in attendance, including Miss Unger, had tears in their eyes when they realized the extent of Beethoven’s deafness."

More to discover