*WHITE PAPER* The Sound of Music - How & Why the Speaker Cable Matters

G'DAY

I’ve spent a sizeable amount of the last year putting together this white paper: The Sound of Music and Error in Your Speaker Cables

Yes, I’ve done it for all the naysayers but mainly for all the cable advocates that know how you connect your separates determines the level of accuracy you can part from your system.

I’ve often theorized what is happening but now, here is some proof of what we are indeed hearing in speaker cables caused by the mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the speaker cable and the loudspeaker impedance.

I’ve included the circuit so you can build and test this out for yourselves.

Let the fun begin

Max Townshend 

Townshend Audio

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtownshend-audio
Blah blah blah....so many people with so much advice and self assuredness.  Most have not laid down tons of cash over the years exploring all the different cable designs with various systems and environments.  Most of the advice is from a limited perspective or biased mindset.  On a well mated system, in a relatively decent environment, recent MIT cables and power cords allow the music to flow unimpeded...no roll offs or compression or lack of detail

That's weird, because when I tested / tried MIT cables they were one of the few that actually rolled off the high end.  No need to try all kinds of cable designs when you understand how cables work. I don't need to try a 4000lb car with a 60hp engine to know I am not going to get a 5 second 0-60 time.

b4icu,

You seem to be ignoring L and C because I would say there is a good chance you don't understand how they behave in a system.  Take the biggest wires you can find, I don't care, make them 000.  If you don't design at the same time for low L, those giant cables can cause audible roll-off at high frequencies. Not subtle, but audible.

Not even talking about the resistance in the voice coil and cross-overs yet which will make that giant cable of little value.

There is a popular cartoon which shows two paths, "Simple but Wrong", and "Complex but right". It is often appropriate.

b4icu- Again. My Melody integrated amp is model I-880. You can use your incredible expertise to look up the DF. I require 8 feet. Can’t wait to hear the wonderful wires you build me. PM me when its ready I’ll give you my shipping address.

Your name by the way reminds me of the 60’s Sunday morning kids show JP Patches. A clown. His side kick Gertrude was a guy with obvious 5 o’clock shadow in drag and Army boots. This all being preposterous even to kids isn’t all that reminds me of you however. It was the gimmick that they could see you through the TV camera. They called it the ICU2TV.
Mr.  audio2design

On your MIT cable you have a box. All MIT cables does. Inside that box, you will find an LRC filter. That may the one that rolls off your missing highs. Those cables (with some box along the cable) have that property. 
What else do you think that box (molded) may hide in it? A COVID-19 vaccine?
It does effect sound, but in the wrong way.
Why paying and getting such a roll off, when you paid an arm and a leg for a perfectly linear sound system?
That box, even if it could be removed (it cannot!), nothing guarantees that the cable is up to your Amps requirements to drive (DF). When studied a cable of MIT, taking it apart, I found an RF cable (RJ-45 alike) with the shield and solid core, connected at the adjes. 
Post removed