Review of the SMARTractor and SMARTstylus

I mounted an AudioTechnica VM95ML on the Sota for it's new owner using these tools for the first time.

The Acoustical Systems SMARTractor: On taking the unit out of it's box you immediately get the feeling you are dealing with a fine precision instrument. Construction quality is through the roof. It is child's play to set it up. The only kink I ran into. It was very difficult to push the locator pin (points to the vertical axis of the horizontal bearing) through the beam. I had to tap it with a small hammer. The grub screw was backed way out. The nylon plunger used to prevent marring the stainless steel was a very tight fit. 
You set the alignment by removing the pillar's locating screw then twist the pillar lining the index mark with the line labeled  with the alignment you want. I chose Lofgren B. You the place it on the platter which you should lock in place, line up the locator pin with the horizontal bearing and lock the beam in place. The Syrinx made this easy as it has a perfect dimple right over the horizontal axis. Next you place the magnifier in it's bracket and line it up with the Lofgren B grid. The grid lines are super fine and close together. They literally light up on the mirrored surface. Super easy to see.
You line up the cross hair with the targeting grid on the mirror. This puts your sight line right down the cantilever and boy does it work! The magnifier makes it darn easy for old eyes to line things up perfectly. 

Now for the SMARTstylus. This is just a piece of plexy with four sets of grid lines, vertical, horizontal and SRA, and VTA. It comes with it's own hand held magnifier. It looks well made. It is also close to worthless with an offset arm that has a permanent finger lift. Both the offset and the finger lift keep you from getting it close enough and angled correctly to the cantilever. I will try it again with the Schroder which does not have a finger lift. 

In short, the SMARTractor is a brilliant, well thought out devise manufactured to the highest standard. It is handily the most accurate, easiest to use cartridge alignment tool I have ever used. Is it worth $700? I have to say that if you love vinyl and want to be sure your cartridge is dead on, Yes absolutely. On the other hand at this time I have to say that the SMARTstylus is a waste of money. The VM95ML? Darn! It punches way above it's price point. It is handily the best sounding under $200 cartridge I have ever used. It is neutral, tracks well and is very quiet. It is as quiet as my $2000 Charisma. If you are after a MM cartridge in this price range you can not go wrong. You can be perfectly comfortable buying it blind.  

Hope this helps people,
Mike

128x128mijostyn
I have no doubt this is a great tool...I just have a hard time with the expense for someone who 1) has a single turntable with 2) a single tonearm and 3) only one cartridge...and doesn't frequently (i.e. years) swap components (like me!). Now, if only an enterprising AudioGon'er would start a SMARTractor rental side-hustle...
nrenter, funny you should mention that! My thought exactly. The box the SmarTractor comes in is quite sturdy. Dealers could rent it to customers easily with a deposit to cover loss or damage. I was thinking about doing just that. But, the problem is for people far away shipping charges plus the rental fee would still come to a sizable expense. If people are located near by and can come and pick it up that would be reasonable.
Otherwise, dealers should have it to set up customer's turntables to their favorite alignment. 
Personally, I’d gladly pay $100 + return shipping / insurance (in the US) for 7 days access. I’m pretty good with my MintLP + USB microscope, but I’d pay a Benjamin to satisfy a curiosity.
If I were to do it I would ask for a $600 deposit and would refund $525 when the device is returned without damage. You pay for return shipping.
So yeah, it is kinda funny, now that you mention it, spending $700 to mount a $200 cartridge, all to be sure you eliminated something that can’t ever be eliminated- and which no one ever hears anyway!

I agree