Bookshelf Speaker Stand Difference?

Hello,
When I think book shelf speakers, I have thought that the designated speaker stand from the same brand performs the best for a speaker.

For example, Focal Utopia Bookshelf - Focal Speaker Stand for this model.

Today I happened to have a conversation about this, and heard that as long as you use reasonably high quality/heavy stand (for example, Solid Steel Speaker Stand about 30lbs), there would be NO sound quality difference compared to using the designated speaker stand.

For speaker stands, benefits of designated speaker stands are

1) Aesthetic
2) Can be connected to the speaker

And... reasonably there is no sound quality advantage.It’s just matter of taste and convenience.
(A bit of secure connection too.)

How’s your experience?

And do you know any top quality speaker stand that I can use universally?

Thank you.
128x128sangbro
To the OP - I have found that quality speaker stands make a significant difference - generally, the heavier and more inert the better.  A good stand can allow you to get the most out of your speaker.  In many cases, the manufacturer's stands aren't the best choice.  They are built to a price point and to match the appearance of the speakers (and to make some extra money).

You also should experiment with the following:

--different footers/spikes/etc. under the stands.  You can find a lot of discussions on Audiogon about different ways of coupling/decoupling the stands.  

--the interface between the speaker and stand.  I've tried Stillpoints, Herbies, Goldensoud cones, Rollerblock Jrs. Blu Tak, etc.  Each one influences the sound.

Best of luck, and enjoy the journey!

@gdnrbob, the junction between stand and speaker will not be wood-on-wood.

We have no plans to include a dedicated isolation base like the Townshend Isolation bars.  Nothing against them!  But we'd rather people make their own choices in that area.  I think that would be more cost-effective for everyone.  

In the revised, production version of the Super Stand the woofer will be down-firing so the vibrations will be in the vertical plane, where they will have the least effect.  

Duke
Results will be dependent on the type and design of speakers. One size doesn't fit all although most speakers will benefit or sound great with conventional stands ie. Heavy, inert and comes with a top plate. For instance, Harbeth speakers sound best on lightweight open frame stands without any top plate. Place them on a pair of heavy mass loaded stands with top plate, they will sound pretty much dead.