Benefit of a Newer (Used) DAC - "Bang for the Buck?"

Despite having a SO who fails to understand why anyone would spend more than $100 on a “radio,” I’ve managed (over several years) to covertly assemble a fairly decent home audio system.  (My prize acquisition being a $500 set of LN Belle Klipsch loudspeakers off CraigsList).

At any rate, relying on quality used equipment that is past its technological “expiration date” has, under the circumstances, served me reasonably well. However, I’m now to the point where I’d like to (again) update several components – namely, the DAC.  

I’m currently running a Cambridge CXC transport through a Genesis digital lens and a Muse Model Two DAC – both of which, while fully functional, are fairly dated.  Realistically, how much noticeable impact can I expect from a newer (used) DAC – like a Bryston BDA-2 or MHDT Pagoda (for example)?  FWIW, my current setup does everything I need it to (i.e., play Red Book CDs).

In advance, thanks for any advice/feedback.

tds3371
Tough to say.  I use a (new) R2R dac with an obsolete Analog Designs AD1865N-K chip.  I've found this unit (an Audio Mirror Tubadour IIIse) to outperform a number of modern dacs including things like the PS Audio Directstream and Matrix X-Sabre Pro.  The latter is one of the best measuring dacs currently in production.  All depends on your ears and system.
I bought a Benchmark DAC 1 PRE, and couldn't be happier with it. For me, it's all I'll ever need. Best $500 I've ever spent.

Dan
Thanks for the feedback, guys - much appreciated.  I'm just trying to determine the best way to expend my limited funds - not an easy assessment, so be sure.

@cal3713 - The AM Tubador III (and IIIse, in particular) caught my eye, but my current budget for a new or preowned unit is around $1K.  If I need to drop a few more bucks to get a marked improvement, I'll just have to save my pennies for a little longer. ;o) Still, your suggestions are good ones.

@islandmandan - It's reassuring to hear it's not entirely a matter of spending > $$.  I'll definitely check out the Benchmark.