AR LS17SE Volume Control

I picked up a used AR LS17SE preamp last fall.   In general I’m quite pleased with it.   It is my first exposure to the AR sound.  
What stands out to me is the limited volume control range.   When I was researching a preamp for my needs this seemed to be the exact fit I was looking for.   It is specified as having 102 detents on the volume control which seemed like a good range of sensitivity to me.  
What I find is it is only 6-8 clicks on the volume control from lowest/no volume to maximum tolerable volume which, to me, is quite disappointing for such a garnered piece/brand.  Especially with the 102 detent reference.  
Am I missing something?
pinball101
Yep, you are missing something. Equipment matching most probably. My first guess is that your speakers are very efficient. Next is that your amp is too sensitive. You can cure this by inserting in-line attenuators between your amp and pre-amp. You might be able to get a mod to your pre-amp's gain stage (insertion of resistors - similar to adding the in-line attenuators). Personally I'd buy (and I did) in-line attenuators which are cheap(ish) and see if you can tolerate them and go from there. I used 10db Rothwells. 
Speakers are Dynaudio S1.4LE at 85db sensitivity.  So not the speakers.  

The amp is an Edge M8m at 30,000 ohms input impedance single ended only.  

The LS17SE is 350 ohms output impedance single ended. 

That is an 85:1 ratio.  Impedance matching was a large factor in pursuing the LS17SE.  I had plugged the Edge into my Aesthetix Calypso (single ended 1000 ohms output impedance) and the volume was noticeably low.  Really had to crank up the Calypso to approach a listenable volume which I interpreted as a poor match at 30:1 ratio.  

What usable percentage of the volume range do others experience on their LS17 or LS17SE?

Post removed