Integrated Amp Question for a Newbie to the Forum

Hello Audiogon Community!

First time posting to this forum. I’m somewhat of a novice when it comes to hifi audio gear. I’m looking to replace a busted McIntosh MX110 preamp and an outgoing MC225 amp and have been looking to consolidate and upgrade to an integrated amp. My current setup is:

• Jolida JD9 II phono preamp

• Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic Turntable 

• Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Floor speakers 

• CD player to buy soon

• Streaming player to buy soon

For the integrated amplifier, I’ve heard a lot of good things about -

Luxman L-509X and L-590AXII

Hegel H390 and H590

Mark Levinson 5805

McIntosh 7200

We play everything from rock to jazz to R&B, hip hop and everything in between. I’m looking to keep the integrated amp in the sub 10k range and will eventually add the streaming player (I hear good things about the Lumin T2 and the Lynn Selekt) and the CD player. 

Do you all have any recos on what you think would sound good with the setup I have? We like a dynamic and warm sound. Appreciate any advice!

Cheers

fourminutesong
I think coming from tubes the Pass would more to your liking. Having said that, the Hegel is on the warm side as well. If anything, the Pass setup is a bit tighter in all aspects. They are different than good v bad. Also, my setup is separates now, so not a fair comparison IMO. 
those speakers do look very nice, I imagine sound terrific

I have three reservations

1. rear port. are you able to keep the speakers far enough away from rear wall, to avoid muddy reflected bass?

2. sensitivity 88 db/1w/1m. I always prefer higher efficiency, 90 or perhaps higher, to keep power needs low, keeps cost/weight/size/heat of amp lower, now and future upgrade and much less cost/heat if/when you try tube amp.

3. 8 ohms, minimum 3 ohms, combined with 88 sensitivity, I’d keep looking for options.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/600-series-anniversary/603

Bowers and Wilkins makes a wonderful speaker though I have never been a fan of the 600 series.  I find the highs a little grainy.  What is certain is that speaker is MUCH more forward than what you have.  I don't know the exact model mentioned, but JBLs are horns and also tend to be more forward.  That being said, matched with Luxman will leave you in about a neutral sound profile.  

If you are going to upgrade, new silvers are a big step forward.  Monitor Audio has redone all of those drivers and the resolution has take a radical step forward.  

The MA Gold 200 is a really great speaker.  The old ribbon I found a little dark but the new AMT they are using is amazing and that is an awesome speaker and one you would probably really like.  

If you are going to move away from MA, Dynaudio Evoke 30 would be the first speaker I would look at.  Dynaudio has a reputation for producing insanely neutral speakers.  Build quality is superb and the engineering is second to none. 

You could look at the Revel Performa 3 F206 which is a lovely speaker and is maybe a hair forward of what you have but will leave you with a lovely, warm sound with the integrated amps you are looking at.  

I traditionally would have suggested PSB but last I looked, they have not been available for a few months which is quite frustrating.  

Ah great advice. I do like the MA’s. Sounds like the new Silvers or Gold would be a worthwhile upgrade. 

As far as neutral goes, do you find that’s a desirable sound profile? I’m just getting into the differences between neutral, warm and bright. Coming from MAC tube amps, I imagine I’d lean more toward a warm sound but don’t know that I’ve really ever heard neutral. How would you describe the difference? And is there a speaker that tilts more warm with these kinds of amps?

So many things to consider. :-)