My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
Erik, I understand your reluctance re: the acoustic blankets as they may not be decor-friendly.  My wife doesn’t mind the look but I’ve heard others have hidden them behind regular curtains.  Due to their intended purpose they are rather bulky.  For the ones installed over our windows we used double-sided shower hooks in case we wanted a more formal look.  When not needed we just pull them to one side and tie them back with a sash if desired.
EriK, I was of your OLED screen in making the comment of the dark drape behind. It will really make your TV pop. Retractable screens are a no, no. They never stay perfectly flat. A proper screen needs to be stretched in a frame and hung on the wall permanently. We are in the process of remodeling our media room and will be painting the walls a very dark blue. The carpeting is a very dark chocolate brown. When we are done I will show you a picture with the projector on. It is going to look very slick.  In reality projector's can be a real PITA.  Bulbs low every 2000 hours and they only look really good for the first 100. During the daytime you never get a really good picture unless you can totally blocked out your room which I cannot do. The solution is one of the newer laser projectors but the technology has not come down to a reasonable price point yet. Patient is virtually.
Good luck with the speakers. I assume you have a calibrated microphone for measurement purposes and a computer program supporting, truly the only way you would ever know what you were doing.  Keep us informed. I would love to see the grafts.
I have um, 3 different calibrated microphones, 4 when I can find the little one, 2 sets of measurement software and speaker / device impedance measurement tools.  I think I'm good there! :)
@erik_squires 

Nice thread. 

Glad you are using it to gather more info and points of view.

I'd suggest, as you have in the past, to get some pillows and blankets and experiment. It will help a lot. See below for my own experiments.

I've been in the same 13.5' X 20.5' room for nearly 25 years. But I just remodeled it about two years ago. I took everything out and only put my audio gear and a sofa back in - no pictures on the wall, no nothing. Carpet on floors and just two lights on the short wall above the TV. I experimented with pillows until I figured out where I needed help with the bass. I then purchased GIK Impressions corner traps and I was expecting them to be much better than the pillows, but I found only a modest improvement. Nonetheless, the bass is better now than with no treatments, but I found that I never had a big problem with the bass in the first place. Speakers are out over 2' from back and side walls.

In the first reflect area, I have a vase that is about two feet tall. It does make a slight but hearable difference and they've been there since the remodel. Last week I bought some dried bouquets and placed two in each vase, sort of mimicking a tall potted plant. Without even removing the wrapping, it was easy to hear the improvement. I never thought I had a first reflection problem, but this helped in a nicely positive way. This weekend I hope to have time to take the wrapping off and fan the bouquets out for more first reflection diffusion, and of course hoping for a nice improvement there. For $25, not bad at all.

BTW, I tried pillows in the rear corners and on the walls to absolutely no audible difference. Foam panels always made things worse.

I also tried a blanket over my TV and never found it to help. In fact, I just tried that again last week and it hurt the sound. So, what I'm trying to say with this all is that each room is different and experimenting will definitely help in narrowing down what actually needs to be done. Some rooms need more than others. Not saying I'm finished yet, but also saying I didn't really need that much room treatment.

Good luck with the new room and home!