Perfect Pop Songs

Those with the kind of music, lyrics, performance, arrangement and production that you could easily repeat all day.

How about starting with this one? Somewhat outside of her usual cannon and none the worse for it. Perhaps also a contender for the sexiest vocals ever?

Louie Louie  by Julie London
cd318
@reubent ,

Wow, my favourite Beat record. Great video but muted sound. It normally sounds a lot more punchy. 
Here's a slightly cleaner version with lyrics.

https://youtu.be/uAQ5JatwGrE

The early 80s were a great time for UK singles. Here's one that went straight to number 1 in its first week by the group that were being seen then as the new Beatles.

The Jam - Going Underground

https://youtu.be/JeZuku6GijA
Great thread @cd318  - I hope it continues to grow and promote great pop songs.

@mitchagain: The Dwight Twilley Band! Their first album (Sincerely) is full of great Pop-Rock. It's like Elvis crossed with The Beatles. Bill Pitcock's flurry of guitar notes in the break midsong in "I'm On Fire" is astounding! Their second album (Twilley Don't Mind) is great too, but then drummer/singer Phil Seymour left the Group to go solo, and his absence really hurt. Future albums were no longer credited to The Dwight Twilley Band (their name was originally going to be Oyster), but just Dwight Twilley. Phil's albums on Boardwalk are real good too. By the way, Pitcock and my ex were a couple for a few years, and he offered to teach our son guitar. What a missed opportunity! An early DTB video (on American Bandstand, I believe) shows Tom Petty playing bass.

Speaking of Tommy James (as someone did above), his "Mony Mony" is a great one. In a similar vein is The Guess Who's version of "Shakin' All Over", my favorite rendition (superior imo to The Who's).

@reubent, do you like the Paul Collins (U.S.) Beat? Their s/t debut is killer Pop-Rock, and they were one of the best live bands I ever saw and heard (at The Whiskey Au Go Go in late '79/early '80). Bristling with kinetic energy, at The Who levels! Pre-The Beat, Paul Collins was the drummer in The Nerves, a trio whose other members were Peter Case (later in The Plimsouls) , and Jack Lee (writer of the Blondie hit "Hanging On The Telephone"). Their single release--a 7" EP, has become collectable, selling for close to $200. My copy is staying in my collection. ;-)

Here's a great one: "Shake Some Action" by The Flamin' Groovies, produced by Dave Edmunds.

To add to Last Christmas by the Wham! that I have mentioned earlier, "out of this world honor" for pop song has to go to Paloma Blanca by George Baker Selection.

If you had been there, you are singing it in your head now just by reading this mention of it. Don’t pretend you are not. Enough time has passed, you can admit it now.

For those few who got reminded, here it is in all its glory...

GEORGE BAKER SELECTION - Paloma Blanca (1975) Original Single! - YouTube