Integrated Amp Question for a Newbie to the Forum

Hello Audiogon Community!

First time posting to this forum. I’m somewhat of a novice when it comes to hifi audio gear. I’m looking to replace a busted McIntosh MX110 preamp and an outgoing MC225 amp and have been looking to consolidate and upgrade to an integrated amp. My current setup is:

• Jolida JD9 II phono preamp

• Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic Turntable 

• Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Floor speakers 

• CD player to buy soon

• Streaming player to buy soon

For the integrated amplifier, I’ve heard a lot of good things about -

Luxman L-509X and L-590AXII

Hegel H390 and H590

Mark Levinson 5805

McIntosh 7200

We play everything from rock to jazz to R&B, hip hop and everything in between. I’m looking to keep the integrated amp in the sub 10k range and will eventually add the streaming player (I hear good things about the Lumin T2 and the Lynn Selekt) and the CD player. 

Do you all have any recos on what you think would sound good with the setup I have? We like a dynamic and warm sound. Appreciate any advice!

Cheers

fourminutesong
What is your budget? Honestly all of the newer line are nice, but the H390 hits a very real sweet spot for the $$$.
Yeah, I was looking at the H390 last night as well. I like the price point and it seems like it may be a decent match for my system? The money I save I could put toward a great streamer like the Lumin T2.
I know those speakers and they are not the be-all end-all in terms of resolution. I was surprised at how forgiving they were. I did a side by side compare of those exact speakers, PSB (forget the model), Revel Performa3 F206 and Wharfeldale Jades. I LOVED the neutrality of them but was shocked at details that were missing. I remember not hearing certain moments of crowd noise on "don’t give up" off Peter Gabriel’s Secret World Live.

If it was me, I would look at an updated MA Silver speaker like the 300 and a nice integrated. The MA Silver 300s are $2200 and much more detailed than the older models. The drivers are much better and have the same, amazing neutral sound profile.

Luxman would be my favorite choice of what you have listed. I think it is the most musical and the build quality is insanely good.

Another option would be the AVM Ovation 6.2 Master Edition. This is an all SS integrated that has a MOSFET output stage that is warm and detailed. It is an amazingly good sounding amp.  It lists for $8K and the Ovation line is AVMs music without compromise line of products.  Ud is an ex Burmester guy and that should indicate the kind of sound profile you should expect.  Smooth, natural and ultra detailed.  

Given that you have the Jolida, are you open to tube options? Not pure tube but maybe hybrid tube? If you are, read on. if not, don’t bother.

Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 600. Lists for $6990. This is a hybrid SS unit with a tube input stage that uses NuVistor Tubes. Plenty of reviews and this is an insanely good integrated. I had a customer just take its big brother, the 800 to drive some Triangle speakers and it is insanely good sounding. 200w into 8 ohms

For a little bit less money, the AVM Evolution A5.2 is $6499 and is a hybrid Class D that uses a Purifi module with a tube input stage that is exclusive to AVM. I have customers driving Magicos and Martin Logans with this and it can easily handle those MAs. 185w into 8 ohms. This is a German company that makes some amazing gear. Great review from Gary Beard over at Positive Feedback.

Finally, another interesting option would be the Canor A2.10 which is also a hybrid class D using a hypex module. This unit is $4000 and is made in Slovakia. Canor is just coming to the US, but has a long history selling in the EU and they are the OEM for several companies. This is 100w into 8 ohms and supports tube rolling if that were to interest you. I have this unit currently sitting with a reviewer that I expect to come out in April and his top-line feedback was "quiet and dynamic." This would be cool because you could get the amp, Lumin and speakers for just over $10K. There are currently plenty of reviews in the EU though some are in german.

Obviously I am an importer & retailer. There aren’t the biggest brands in the US so if I don’t, I am not sure anyone else will and they really do deserve consideration. It is great gear.
Look at Raven Audio for a tube integrate www.ravenaudio.com

or Pathos Acoustics at www.upscaleaudio.com for a Hybrid.

both make wonderful sounding integrated. I know I own both.