Integrated Amp Question for a Newbie to the Forum

Hello Audiogon Community!

First time posting to this forum. I’m somewhat of a novice when it comes to hifi audio gear. I’m looking to replace a busted McIntosh MX110 preamp and an outgoing MC225 amp and have been looking to consolidate and upgrade to an integrated amp. My current setup is:

• Jolida JD9 II phono preamp

• Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic Turntable 

• Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Floor speakers 

• CD player to buy soon

• Streaming player to buy soon

For the integrated amplifier, I’ve heard a lot of good things about -

Luxman L-509X and L-590AXII

Hegel H390 and H590

Mark Levinson 5805

McIntosh 7200

We play everything from rock to jazz to R&B, hip hop and everything in between. I’m looking to keep the integrated amp in the sub 10k range and will eventually add the streaming player (I hear good things about the Lumin T2 and the Lynn Selekt) and the CD player. 

Do you all have any recos on what you think would sound good with the setup I have? We like a dynamic and warm sound. Appreciate any advice!

Cheers

fourminutesong
what are you doing with that mx110?

busted?

I love mine, wouldn't mind having some spare parts.

you could pm me.

thanks, Elliott
Nice system.

Am I correct that you will skip a preamp: jolida and everything else direct to new integrated?

count your needed inputs: some offer preamp direct as one of their inputs. That skips the integrated’s volume, so you may not be able to use that input without a preamp.

Or, get a CD player or Streamer with volume control, send it to the preamp pass thru input.

I don’t care about remote switching, but I want remote volume and remote balance for tracks that benefit a surprising amount from a slight balance tweak. some have it, but you have to download the manual and read until you find it. Many don’t show the remote, and many, you need to get deep into the menu, but it is there.

Do you play Mono LP’s? Your TT has fixed arm, no way to change cartridges easily. How do you play mono lps now? You will lose the mx110’s McIntosh Mode switch. Will the Jolida convert it’s output to mono?

Your/A stereo cartridge reacts to both horizontal and vertical motion, a true mono cartridge reacts to horizontal only. I trusted the advice here and got a mono cartridge, it makes a bit of difference on some and a lot of difference on many.

I sell LP’s, including Jazz Mono. I just sold a rare one, with a 3/8" wide scuff deep enough to be audible . I played it with Stereo, then Mono. It was disturbing, scuffs same volume as music; with Mono less picked up, and what was was much lower vol than content, quite acceptable, and as I say, pretty desirable.

Point is, I advised bidder, buy ONLY if he had a mono cartridge. He said he wanted it, and would buy a mono cartridge.

yap, yap, it makes a definite difference.

I've actually sent he MX110 back to Audio Classics where I bought it from many years back. As for the Jolida, it's a nice preamp for the TT. If the integrated amp's phono preamp is superior I'll just just that directly but may wind up keeping it and using a line level input with the Jolida still in play. That may work?

I don't listen to a lot of mono recordings so if I'm understanding your note I think I'll be ok? Your knowledge runs deep! Thank you
Most integrated amps do not have phono preamps.

You are lucky, your Jolida has both low outputs, and high outputs.
The high output is internally boosted up to line level, thus you can go into any line level input of the integrated amp, aux, tape, cd, whatever the label.

you will need 3 line levels inputs on your integrated amp for your Jolida; CD; Stream.
Ah good to know. Do you think the models I've mentioned are overkill or worth pursuing given the system I have?