Bobby Whitlock YouTube video interviews

Are you familiar with Bobby Whitlock? He came out of the late-60’s Tulsa music scene (a very fertile breeding ground of musical talent), playing keyboards (organ, mostly) with Delaney & Bonnie, Don Nix, Sam & Dave, Booker T & The MG’s, and others. George Harrison then brought Bobby and some other Southern musicians over to England to play on his All Thinks Must Pass album. There Bobby reunited with Eric Clapton, as did drummer Jim Gordon and bassist Carl Radle. After hearing Music From Big Pink and realizing he didn’t want to do Cream anymore, Eric had gone out on the road as a hired gun in the Delaney & Bonnie band, whose members included Bobby, Jim, and Carl. After Harrison’s album was in the can, Eric, Bobby, Jim, and Carl formed Derek & The Dominos, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Bobby and his wife (and musical partner) Coco Turner have a YouTube video "channel", on which they post videos of Coco asking questions and Bobby answering them. They are fascinating! Lots of insights into musicians, their lives and careers, may be gleaned by watching them, so consider giving them a try.

Some of you may be familiar with my attempts here to enlighten ya’ll to the concept of ensemble playing: musicians playing in service to the song, the singer, or both, not to mention the greater good---the collective whole of the Band/Group---rather than for self-glorification. It is my opinion (and not mine alone) that the "best" musicians play in such a manner. Here is Bobby in one of the videos, speaking of the relative failure of the Derek & The Dominos album at the time of it’s release:

"Nobody wanted to hear it. They wanted to hear Cream and stuff like that. They weren’t interested in real songs and real singing."

Many still aren’t.

Speaking of JIm Gordon: When I recorded with Emitt Rhodes (he was engineering and producing a solo act), he told me Jim Gordon was the best drummer he ever worked with. I didn’t take offense (Jim is a favorite of mine as well), he praised my playing at the same time ;-) . By the way, Emitt played drums in his first band---The Palace Guard, turning pro while still in High School, switching to guitar for his second, The Merry-Go-Round (have you heard their great Pop song, "Live"?). He plays them on his great s/t debut album on Dunhill Records. Better than McCartney’s debut!

128x128bdp24
"Nobody wanted to hear it. They wanted to hear Cream and stuff like that. They weren’t interested in real songs and real singing."

I loved Derek and the Dominoes when it came out, and still think that it has many great moments as well as a few weak ones, but that sentence above is a bit puzzling. Maybe I'm not understanding what he meant, but I hope that he wasn't trying to say that Cream didn't produce great songs, or that the singing or musicianship were lacking in any way.
Regarding Jim Gordon, I was a little surprised at your assessment, knowing that you are a drummer. I wouldn't personally consider him one of the greats, even in the rock genre, although he was pleasing and certainly adequate for the band. His habits and devices always reminded me of a studio drummer; comfortable and fitting, but nothing surprising or unexpected.
Thanks for the heads up, and I will check that out on youtube.
Thanks for the heads up and will certainly check it out. Whitlock has always been on my radar as was the crowd he seemed to flow with. Enjoy the music
bdp24 thanks. I really enjoy your perspective and what you bring regarding good musicians. In about 1960 my grandfather got me a hand held transistor radio. Man I wore that out, had my 1 ear plug. Well at that early age I got tired of pop music, or music that was played all the time. Catchy stuff let me wanting.  So started listening to what was called alternative music, much better music to my ears. Still enjoy a lot of it today.  The test of time.  Shortly then about mid teens I had friends and their parents who played in their living rooms. I come to really appreciate the skill of a musician in trying to convey something valuable. And in that setting when they all supported one another there was some sublime stuff going on.