Von Schweikert vr33 question

Does it bother anybody else that the bass speaker is located in the rear of the speaker? I would think it just wouldn't be the same as it being up front. I understand it allows placement closer to the rear wall. I don't have that problem. so should I not purchase them? What other speaker is going to give me full range for that kind of money used?
dpm2340
Placing the woofer on the rear is of no practical concern given the low crossover point.  In fact, it is more of an advantage and reinforces low end response and makes it more predictable.

There are many other designs that give full range response for similar cost--Tekton comes to mind.

You have not given enough info to offer helpful suggestions I'm afraid.
Rear-firing, side-firing (e.g., Coincident and many others), or down-firing (e.g., Vandersteen and many others)... doesn't matter a ton below about 120Hz. You just can't echo-locate down there due to the wavelengths involved... about 10ft at 120hz and a whopping 56ft at 20hz. 

Good luck getting perfect peak alignment at the listening position from the right and left woofers down at those frequencies.  What really matters is how the waves reflect as they bounce around the room, and whether you're getting reinforcement or cancellation at your listening position.  

https://www.jdbsound.com/art/frequency%20wave%20length%20chart%202013.pdf

OP said:
" I understand it allows placement closer to the rear wall."

I assume that you mean what we normally call the front wall in back of the speakers; but a rear firing woofer should actually make placement closer to that wall more difficult.  
i wasn't asking so much for frequency.  But a speaker with the bass pointing rearward sound "goofy" "funny" "naked" compared to a speaker with the bass driver firing forward?