Turn Table Cable Length

I'm thinking of moving my TT to a new location that would involve cabling of about 20'.  While I appreciate great audio, perfection isn't my hunt.  I know there may be some things I give up and I'm OK with that.  Please share your thoughts on this if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Ag insider logo xs@2xsjmccarthy
@smccarthy  This is a really Bad Idea! Here's why:

The cartridge has an inductance. The tonearm cable has a capacitance. They are in parallel; when this is so an inductance and capacitance produce an electrical resonance. If its a MM cartridge the resonance will be in the audio band (the response will be a long way from flat). If a LOMC the resonance is slightly higher Q value (more peaked, due to the nature of a moving coil) and will be about 1/3rd the frequency that it would normally be (which might be from 100KHz to 2-3MHz)

In the case of the former obviously you want this outside of the audio band. In the case of the latter, that peak, if energized, can and does overload the input of many phono preamp designs (resulting in ticks and pops). The lower you make that frequency, the more likely the phono section will have bandwidth; the easier it will be to overload it.

If you really want to go that length, you'll need, at the turntable, either a preamp with a balanced output or a transformer that is used to run a balanced line to your phono section where it it converted back to single ended with another transformer, if you don't have a balanced input on the phono preamp.
Or you can get a phono stage with USB output like the Pro-Ject AD Box S2 close to the turntable and use a 20' USB cable connect to USB input of your DAC or amplifier digital input if available.
20ft on turntable will give you diffuse sound with crappy detail.Good luck.
Humble genius?
I’m a monkey’s uncle.

You’ll get much better SQ putting a cheap (<$200) phono pre by the TT and 20 ft. of generic phono cable over to your amp(s).
USB or SPDIF would probably sound better at a MUCH greater cost.
Post removed