Perfect Pop Songs

Those with the kind of music, lyrics, performance, arrangement and production that you could easily repeat all day.

How about starting with this one? Somewhat outside of her usual cannon and none the worse for it. Perhaps also a contender for the sexiest vocals ever?

Louie Louie  by Julie London
cd318
@bdp24,

"A sterling example of a Pop song is "When You Walk In The Room", written by Jackie DeShannon and released by her as a single in 1963."

Jackie's version certainly is. I think it's a mark of a great pop record that it can be a hit for different artists at different times. The charts are littered with such cover versions. There's probably even a few songs that have been hits for three or more artists! 

I always found it a little odd that my audiophile friends would tend to look down on pop. I know some people say they don't like bands 'selling out' (?) but my friends never articulated just what it was about pop they didn't like.

Or maybe it was the fact that pop didn't always have the highest sound quality in mind that often caused it to be overlooked by audiophiles?  For many other people pop is the goto whenever they get the urge to want the musical equivalent of a sugar hit.

Anyway, in return I would resort to calling  them 'musos'. You know the kind of musicians who fret about dropping a bum note whilst strangely being unaware that 99% of the audience didn't notice and couldn't care less even if they did.

In any case, why does it matter that musicians have to maintain a priest like devotion to their art? Isn't music also supposed to be fun?

Is 'selling out' even such a bad thing after all? Didn't the Clash, the Smiths, and the Ramones all 'sell out'. Even Steely Dan and the Floyd released the odd single, didn't they?

Or is this something that only affects the mindset mainly the most devoted (possibly over-identifying) of fans? 
In my case I was pleased  to be an early Joy Division fan and watching their gradual acceptance into the rock pantheon only went to confirm my taste. I certainly didn't feel disgruntled or let down by that. I don't own any part of Joy Division, and they owe me nothing.

For sure there are some worthy bands who almost only ever made pop music - the Mamas and Papas, the Association, Abba, the Beach Boys etc.

Herman's Hermits were another such great pop band. With so many hits they hardly ever strayed from safe pop territory. On a couple of notable occasions when they did the results were interesting.

Marcel's was certainly a great b side (https://youtu.be/e6fWFFp87xs) but perhaps their greatest pop song was this one.

Silhouettes  by Herman's Hermitshttps://youtu.be/Hs_glAOwbzk
Janis Ian songs on her earlier albums are very well recorded and the music is very nice.  

Rickie Lee Jones' first album titled the same is just fantastic sounding and musically.

Bob
"I always found it a little odd that my audiophile friends would tend to look down on pop."
I have no idea if it is pop, or not, but my system-testing track is Victims by Culture Club. Drum around 2:15 is make-it-or-break-it moment. I compare everything to the way it sounds in my