Speaker Rake

Hi
I have a problem,I own a pair Talon Firebirds, I have been experimenting with speaker placement for a long time know, I have concrete floor with berber carpet, I find that they sound better with out their large spikes attached, a couple of weeks ago I notice that when you are standing up and I first press play and I return to my listening position and sit down you lose the very bottom end, I have experimented by placing a piece of carpet under the back, this seam to fix the difference in sound from standing to sitting, I then thought what would happen if I replace the spikes and adjust the rake, using the spikes, with the spike's attached I
find it's flat, should they be level or rake back or forward, I am at a lost.

to loose the midrange, today I played with the rate and sitting placement
of sitting position I found the further I lent forward the better it sounded but when I moved the seating position it was lost again!I read on another
post of people placing platforms under there speakers, I would think this would be a bad Idea as this not how the speaker would of been designed as I am finding in my case as the hight of the spikes seam to destroy the
sound, but in saying that mine design to use the spikes, sip
of been designed to be set at this hight and not at what they with spikes, I use a level to get the level and still wasn't happy, is it the rake?should forward or back.

k_rose
hi, join the club i,m starting. i don't have a name for it yet because i can't make up my mind. i have 3 nice systems [tweaked and optimized imo] in different rooms and every one of them sounds totally different. i agree 100 percent with Lindisfarne,,,just enjoy the music...... good luck
Lindisfrarne..

"My suggestion is stop obsessing and listen to music you enjoy. This is supposed to be fun, not agonizing."

You are so wrong about this. We are in the heart of football season and music is definitely a contact sport, take no prisoners, gime more bass, I want sizzle in my highs, (not those highs but music highs)

K-rose can have it all and we can help.....
Get the lasers out and dial it in.

Jim
First sorry for my opening,was trying to edit my post and hit send in stead.

The setup is like fourplay its half the fun, you have to put in the ground work so as to experiance climax!

I am going to look into the lazer, thats a good idea can be used for first refection point as well.

Thank you all!
K-Rose, my experience is that moving things around can yield excellent results and big payback if you are patient. My speakers are designed so that the rake angle is tilted down and I like them with a fair amount of toe-in. I have experimented with wide vs; narrow set-up, no toe-in, crossed toe-in, toe-out, closer, further away, etc. There is a definitive spot and toe-in that works really well, at least for me and my room. It seems that you are getting tuned-in to the changes that your system and room is capable of.

@Lindisfrane, obsessing about the details and extracting high-level audio performance is why most people come together here and ask the collective about their experience and advice.
I replaced the spikes on my Grand Veena speakers with BDR cones, and then put small ceramic tiles under the back ones to slant the speakers forward.

The speaker instructions state that if you sit closer to the speakers this sounds better than the standard rake.

I would agree, so experiment with your seated position and try raking the speaker forwards or down as opposed to tilted back.

And as far as what this hobby is about, it shouldn't be about compromise and setlling for second best, if you have the means to make the music sound better, why not?

It doesn't mean spending big bucks either.Sometimes all it takes is a little effort , like moving the speakers around.

Some folks are easy to please, others are not.
Some folks like remote controls, others don't if they mess the sound.

Nobody has all the answers,but we should all strive to make the best we can with what we have.