My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
Hi @b_limo

Thanks to you and everyone else for the good wishes. Due to the proximity of the walls, the amount of glass in the room and the TV in the middle plus the close distance to the couch I have to treat a little more aggressively than I would like to. I plan on using a diffusion panel on the wall behind the couch.

I may replace the two stand up panels with custom and narrow diffusion panels at some point however.

One thing I've been looking at using Room EQ Wizard's room simulator is the bass nodes, and they are kind of gnarly, even with an open room. I'm hoping the corner traps plus ceiling panels will smooth that out.
Erik, love the speakers. Were is the cross over point? 12dB/Oct?

Bass nodes can be used to advantage especially if your speakers are weak in the very low end. Just move the listening position backwards or forwards till you get the best bass balance. Sometimes it only takes a foot or two. It is very difficult to subdue them and you really only listen from one place. 
I do like Tim's idea of the drape across the front wall behind the TV. Light and reflective surfaces around a TV or screen can be distracting and deaden contrast. If you get a dark non reflective material the TV will really stand out and you won't need any further sound treatment of that wall, just the side walls.  
Hi Mijostyn,

Erik, love the speakers. Were is the cross over point? 12dB/Oct?

Thank you very much. 3rd order high pass, 2nd order low pass, around 1.8kHz. That’s the basic crossover design, but the reality is that the HP filter has variable slopes.  Below around 2.4kHz it is 12db/Octave, then about 3 up until 20kHz. The tweeter has a natural hump in the low end this cleans up nicely, and I get broad near perfect phase matching with the mid-woofer from 1 kHz to 8 kHz.

The woofer is designed as a 2nd order with Zobel and notch but the filter itself measures around 6db/Octave.

Bass nodes can be used to advantage especially if your speakers are weak in the very low end. Just move the listening position backwards or forwards till you get the best bass balance. Sometimes it only takes a foot or two. It is very difficult to subdue them and you really only listen from one place.

Or if I damp them well enough, every location will have good bass. :) Based on what I’m seeing with REW’s simulator, my biggest issues will be around 100-180 Hz with some anti-modes. I think 4 soffit traps and hung panels from the ceiling will make these quite manageable. I just thought of something which may be affecting my results. I designed the crossover of these speakers with the soffit traps in place. These were never, by design, done quasi-anechoic and I’ve never put them in a room without the bass traps. Maybe that’s why I got such a smooth bass response out of them so consistently?

See more here:

https://speakermakersjourney.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-snr-1-room-response-and-roon.html

I do like Tim’s idea of the drape across the front wall behind the TV.

That’s more of a bay window, but I’ll very much keep that in mind I like the idea of turning that bay window into a visible and sonic black hole.

I’m not doing a retractable screen/projector because honestly I watch movies a lot. No reason to keep rolling it up and down, not to mention I like the colors of the OLED TV a great deal.
Hello Erik,

I believe you're familiar with my thoughts on good in-room bass response.  Your new room is a good size but has a lot of hard surfaces.  Bass sound waves are going to radiate outward in an omnidirectional pattern from your speakers and sub.  They'll continue to reflect off room boundaries (walls, ceiling and floor) until they collide with another, are partially attenuated by bass room treatments or run out of energy.
     All the bass you perceive at your listening seat will have reflected off at least 1 room boundary on the way to your ears and body. Trying to time the arrival times of these bass soundwaves, or absorb them is futile.
     It's a better strategy to not fight the bass physics and psycho acoustics in a room and let them work for you.  I suggest you add a 2nd sub and optimally position each within your room for powerful, dynamic, fast, smooth and detailed bass at your listening seat that avoids room modes and seamlessly integrates with your main speakers.

Best wishes,
Tim
Hi Tim,

I'll be doing a blog post with measurements.  I don't have the space for a second sub.  I've run through various scenarios with Room EQ Wizard's room simulator as well and it did not seem to help much. I think I can get excellent response if I tame some higher frequency issues.

I'll try to go through measuring the room "naked" and as I add treatment.

Lets see what happens!

Erik