My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
Hi Erik, and enjoy your new digs!  A nice bright place for listening and/or watching the flat screen ought to be pleasant.  That, and the exercise of 'set-up' for a 'phile in a fresh new room is always an interesting activity.
So, have fun...;)

Did you end up in NC or SC?
As I look at the room and my move, it gets harder and harder to keep to the idea of separates. The attraction of getting rid of my beloved Luxman integrated, my Mytek DAC, HT processor and 3 monoblock amps to maintain a combined HT/Music system is vanishing.

Replacing them all with a single, new generation Anthem AVR is really really appealing.
Hi Erik!  Congrats on the new place.  I’m sure you’ll get the room all dialed in.  You might want to talk to GIK about covering the entire front wall with panels.  It has always sucked the life out of the music when I did that.  I’ve found that its better to evenly spread them out throughout the listening room and to not over do it.  I like the idea of treating the room as much as possible, as in treating it pretty much everywhere, but it should be with an even amount of diffusion and absorption.  GIK has some really nice looking scatter plates now for the bass traps too that would stay with the theme of your room aesthetically.

Anyhow, exciting stuff!  Congrats on the new living space 👍
Hi @b_limo

Thanks to you and everyone else for the good wishes. Due to the proximity of the walls, the amount of glass in the room and the TV in the middle plus the close distance to the couch I have to treat a little more aggressively than I would like to. I plan on using a diffusion panel on the wall behind the couch.

I may replace the two stand up panels with custom and narrow diffusion panels at some point however.

One thing I've been looking at using Room EQ Wizard's room simulator is the bass nodes, and they are kind of gnarly, even with an open room. I'm hoping the corner traps plus ceiling panels will smooth that out.