My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
My only concern is that, from the photo I viewed, that window doesn’t appear to be exactly centered on that relatively short wall. If it’s not centered

Hi Tim, @noble100

I believe this is an artifact of the angle alone. I may still use curtains for music only listening.

You can read all about my speakers here:

https://speakermakersjourney.blogspot.com/2017/12/snr-1-two-way-high-end-diy-monitor.html

I have added a screen shot from GIK’s room layout tool. It will help visualize how I will be laying out the TV and main speakers. The sub will probably be on the wall on the left, right in front of the bass traps. I may raise the TV, and center it instead.

Please keep in mind that nothing here is exact. The bookshelf for instance is not the right height. I have not yet put in the ceiling panels. I’m not sure about the room height, and I’ve yet to decide on anything on the rear wall.

The plan is to have wall to wall GIK around the TV. In the corners the bass traps, then stand up panels at an angle to cover the short wall distance left to the bay window. This should be absorbent enough to let me snug the spakers upa to the panels.

The front side walls have little space left for a panel, but I’ll be putting in black out curtains on everything glass. Right now the plan is to put in a rug, and 3 panels on the ceiling between the couch and the short wall.
Erik:

Congratulations on your new space and the ability to tailor it to your AV needs!  If you need acoustic/blackout curtains check out the following link: https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/product-category/acoustic-sound-blankets-sound-absorption-panels-prod...

I had a medical need that required creating some dark and quiet spaces in our house and these sound blankets were just what I needed.  They worked so well I decided to mount an 80”x80” blanket behind our 55” TV to see what it would do.  I used an Amazon Basics curtain rod to hang it about 4” off the wall starting at just below the crown moulding and draping down to about a foot from the floor.

The results were not subtle and my wife noticed the difference without being prompted.  The soundstage got deeper but the real benefit was a smoothing out of the bass response to the extent that I recently sold my subwoofer as the bass response is more than adequate without it.
Hi @craigsu61
Thanks for the advice, but those look... um, not for the living room? :) I’m just going to go with the cream and burgundy curtains I already have.
Hi Erik, and enjoy your new digs!  A nice bright place for listening and/or watching the flat screen ought to be pleasant.  That, and the exercise of 'set-up' for a 'phile in a fresh new room is always an interesting activity.
So, have fun...;)

Did you end up in NC or SC?