Perfect Pop Songs

Those with the kind of music, lyrics, performance, arrangement and production that you could easily repeat all day.

How about starting with this one? Somewhat outside of her usual cannon and none the worse for it. Perhaps also a contender for the sexiest vocals ever?

Louie Louie  by Julie London
cd318
The thing about pop, although it might be hard to define what exactly pop is, now that the singles charts is seen to have become irrelevant (not that all great pop songs charted, many like Louie Louie didn't) is that it had the ability to appeal to a wide an audience as possible. 

Let's not forget the sheer variety of genres that made an appearance in the charts between 1950 - 2010. I would for example argue that both I Want To Hold Your Hand and Get Back are pop records. 

So what isn't a pop record?

I would say it's something that either wasn't or could ever be a big hit. For example out of all the great tracks on Astral Weeks the closest to a pure pop record (charts/airplay) I guess would be The Way Young Lovers Do. The other songs are all classics but that's the one you'd think Morrison would look to for singles chart success if he had wanted it.

@reubent , yes My Lonely Sad Eyes is a great pop record.

Despite never being released as a 45 here in the UK, I think it's up there with Here Comes the Night and Brown Eyed Girl as one of Van Morrison's best efforts at pop. 

Some of these suggestions do seem to be great examples of missed single releases. Such as Wyatt Funderberk's Bluer Than Blue.

On the other hand when I think of Tom Petty and obvious pop record, it's always going to be I Won't Back Down.

Anyway here's another example of a great pop record. A sure fire hit if there ever was one. At least it was in the UK giving the band their first number one in almost 20 years. For some inexplicable reason it barely broke the US top 100.

Maria  by Blondie
It's on the OP to define their definition of pop.

Tom Petty comes under the Rock category