My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
Hello Erik,

Congratulations on the new place, it looks like a good sized and inviting room for audio/video playback as well as just an inviting and relaxing space in general.
     As I'm sure you're aware, you have some nice gear and it's now just a matter of positioning everything, including seating, for optimum audio/video performance annd enjoyment.  Here are my initial suggestions: 

1.  I like your idea of locating your very nice LG 55" OLED hdtv along the short wall and at least partially covering the small bay window facing your neighbor.  You already seem to have plenty of natural light in the room and covering that window should do no harm and have some benefits.  For example, it's unlikely you're going to miss the view, it's good spot for creating an unobstructed, centered and optimum view of your video display. 
     It also would increase your privacy, allowing you to guiltlessly enjoy your system in your underwear or beloved Hello Kitty pajamas.  Your reportedly nosy neighbor, Gladyce Kravitz, would be none the wiser and probably unable to further sully your already highly suspect reputation in your new community. 
     My only concern is that, from the photo I viewed, that window doesn't appear to be exactly centered on that relatively short wall. If it's not centered, you could install a set of curtains over the window, or better yet for optimum coolness in room decor and acoustics, you could install a set of curtains or drapes along that entire wall from floor to ceiling in your choice of material.

2.  For best and most comfortable video viewing, my opinion is that the hdtv should be centered on that short wall horizontally but positioned vertically with the height of its center at your eye level when seated at a position directly in front of it and at your preferred distance away from it. 
     This topic may require further discussion and thought, since  I don't know what exact equipment rack you plan on using or whether you plan on using a stand or wall mount method for positioning your hdtv.

3.  In regards to speaker positioning for optimizing audio performance at your designated listening seat, my initial thought is to position a speaker on each side of your hdtv, with each positioned in the available space not only horizontally but also in its distance from the front wall and in relation to your designated listening  seat.  
     I realize however, that you built your own speakers and I need to learn more about them, such as dimensions and preferred positioning, as well as whether you plan on using 1 or more subs in your new room.

Later,
 Tim
Post removed 
My only concern is that, from the photo I viewed, that window doesn’t appear to be exactly centered on that relatively short wall. If it’s not centered

Hi Tim, @noble100

I believe this is an artifact of the angle alone. I may still use curtains for music only listening.

You can read all about my speakers here:

https://speakermakersjourney.blogspot.com/2017/12/snr-1-two-way-high-end-diy-monitor.html

I have added a screen shot from GIK’s room layout tool. It will help visualize how I will be laying out the TV and main speakers. The sub will probably be on the wall on the left, right in front of the bass traps. I may raise the TV, and center it instead.

Please keep in mind that nothing here is exact. The bookshelf for instance is not the right height. I have not yet put in the ceiling panels. I’m not sure about the room height, and I’ve yet to decide on anything on the rear wall.

The plan is to have wall to wall GIK around the TV. In the corners the bass traps, then stand up panels at an angle to cover the short wall distance left to the bay window. This should be absorbent enough to let me snug the spakers upa to the panels.

The front side walls have little space left for a panel, but I’ll be putting in black out curtains on everything glass. Right now the plan is to put in a rug, and 3 panels on the ceiling between the couch and the short wall.