TUBE BIAS, socket to me!

BIAS: (I'm starting from zero understanding) 

I have never measured/adjusted bias in the 3 tube amps, 3 tube receivers, and 2 tube preamps I have acquired over 47 years. I just switched my current Cayin from 6550's to KT88's. Adjust bias? Adjusters inside, scary electrocution warnings. I could pay someone else to do it, i.e. Steve at VAS 1 hr away in NJ, soooo, 

What really counts? (personally I don't care about either heat or life, but would like to understand)

Heat?
Life?
Output stays Matched when adjusted?
Acoustic Performance?
_________?

Over the years, fronts off, bottoms off, I hose em down with contact cleaner/lubricant, compressed air, all controls and switchers, any adjusters, swish full spin back and forth. Kill any spiders, look for, replace the rare burnt resistor. 
Then leave any adjusters (whatever they are) in the middle position, button it back up.

Two tube testers, my big hickock always agrees with small portable one, test strength, shorts, matched strength old and newly purchased. Large collection of NOS, used. Often used test essentially same strength as new ones.

When they go, it's usually a short.
elliottbnewcombjr
@elliottbnewcombjr- I’m not defending SS- its all I’ve ever used. The stereo dealer I trust most told me it depends on the amp more than the technology. Tubes tend to cost a bit more for a given SQ. As I said, my only experience was listening to tubes when the room heated up significantly. Just like belt vs. direct drive TTS - it depends on the table.

I think you are fussy, and an audiophile. My wife and kids think I’m nuts, but I think I am practical and believe in the law of diminishing returns. I’m not an upgraditis guy spending 10’s of thousands on a whim for the latest and greatest. I didn’t get a record cleaning machine because my records are in perfect shape (mostly) and when a dealer had me bring some records in and compare the sound before and after cleaning, I couldn’t hear a difference. I don’t buy old used records unless they are NM or unopened.

Since I leave my amp on all the time I’ve drank  the kool-aid? What does that mean?

I do use a power conditioner- things have to be plugged in somewhere, right? Got a good Furman one used for $300. No dedicated circuits, but I don’t think there are any things being used on the circuit except my amp, phono stage, turntable, tv, and cable box.

I recently vastly improved my turntable by first putting an isolation platform under it. I was convinced by a frequent AG contributor (MC) who swore by it. I was very skeptical about that tweak, but it made a dramatic improvement, like a new turntable - more detail, depth, bass, and to remove foot faults because of my suspended floor over a crawl space put a wall shelf in for my turntable. Of course foot faults went away and the sound improvement was subtle if anything. 
My one interconnect was $200, power cords were all about $100, and my speaker cables were about $500.

No other tweaks other than Herbie’s tenderfeet under my amp and phono stage ($100 total). That was a more theoretical improvement purchase as keeping wires perfectly still does improve the sound, but the question is, can you hear it? Probably not.
My speaker sensitivity is 88dB, so maybe I shouldn’t consider tubes. MC says not to buy speakers under 92dB. I think he goes overboard sometimes.

You hit the nail on the head though, so much is dictated by the room. 
I am thinking that if I follow my rule of not doing any component upgrade unless it is a NOTICEABLE improvement and under $1K net after trade, so I’ll probably stick with my Pliniuis.

i don’t know how old you are, but I think some people who grew up with tubes prefer them. I grew up with vinyl, built a nice collection and tried CDs and didn’t think they even came close to records.
Einstein's Theory of Audio Relativity:
Sound quality equals double blind BS times the vintage age squared.
Vintage, classic, antique or old, heavily used, low tech, rebuilt? The words you show your bias.

New, high tech, modern or unproven, bleeding edge, trendy? Same thing.

I can’t stand the Marketing BS.

vegasears

Auto biasing amps, worth every penny!
I wish my Cayin had it, alas, adjusters within.

I got hooked on the reviews of the Cayin, they have auto-bias on mark 2,3 but my speakers are 16 ohm, only mark 1 has 16 ohm and it’s bias controls are inside.

Seller had it biased just prior to sale to me, however that was for it’s 6550’s. I tried KT88’s for the first time, much prefer them, and .... of course I should bias them. I’m a DIY, but the words ’lethal’ ’death’ ... gave me lockstep.

Made myself a nice long screwdriver out of a hardwood chopstick, dusted off 30 year old multimeter: new batteries, clean moving parts, pots, contacts, then realized, I never used this multimeter, I don’t understand this stuff. I even found it’s 30 year old manual in my ’instructions’ folder in the basement.

I feel I’m all dressed up, nowhere to go.