To re-cap or not to re-cap? That is the question

I've got some very fine 1980s vintage equipment I love and don't want to replace. Recently, I was able to locate a company that repaired the drivers in my ailing speakers; I'd auditioned half a dozen excellent speakers in my home in anticipation of needing to replace my Teslas, and none pleased me as much. The amplifier has been serviced by a local audio engineer I trust--but he describes himself as a "recovering audiophile," and may not be the right person to ask what I want to ask here. Namely: should I have the capacitors in the amp, and perhaps also in the speakers' crossovers, replaced? Is there any other service protocol I should consider?

On the principle "don't fix it if it ain't broke," I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. I don't notice any audible deficit. But perhaps the system could sound even better?

Your sage advice will be appreciated.
128x128snilf
Post removed 
"On the principle "don’t fix it if it ain’t broke," I’m inclined to leave well enough alone."

Me too.

And yes we should try to leave politics out of this forum as much as possible.

It’s getting a little tiring watching reruns of Miller v the sheep.

Baaa!
Well now,

I have had a resistor or three replaced over the years, never anything more than that. Always checked out by pro when that was done.

Still, I always consider 'fixing' or 'upgrading' my vintage stuff, most from 1950's and 60's.

Problem is, they still sound great, they still are dead quiet.

I'm thinking, for my 75th Bday, I might have my McIntosh mx110z 'overhauled'. 

Yet, it sounds so damn good, I worry it might actually lose something.

Conclusion is always as you said, If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.
How much time is there between the end of a burn-in period (for caps, cables, and power cords) and the moment to think about replacing them?
Hi @elliottbnewcombjr

The issue with amps, and this varies a lot, is how much damage you can do if the electrolytic caps blow out.

With a preamp for instance, there's usually no more than +- 15V inside. At most you would blow a voltage regulator.

With an amplifier, with +- 60V or more, and high current, you can blow an entire amplifier board.  Maybe more important for solid state than tubes.

So, like Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry, you have to ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

I have also consistently read from many that these upgrades are often quite beneficial sounding.