To re-cap or not to re-cap? That is the question

I've got some very fine 1980s vintage equipment I love and don't want to replace. Recently, I was able to locate a company that repaired the drivers in my ailing speakers; I'd auditioned half a dozen excellent speakers in my home in anticipation of needing to replace my Teslas, and none pleased me as much. The amplifier has been serviced by a local audio engineer I trust--but he describes himself as a "recovering audiophile," and may not be the right person to ask what I want to ask here. Namely: should I have the capacitors in the amp, and perhaps also in the speakers' crossovers, replaced? Is there any other service protocol I should consider?

On the principle "don't fix it if it ain't broke," I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. I don't notice any audible deficit. But perhaps the system could sound even better?

Your sage advice will be appreciated.
128x128snilf
It seems more than a little frivolous to write about this, given what's unfolding in our nation's capitol at the moment. But...

Thanks to several of my favorite regular voices on this forum--especially Eric, from whom I've learned a lot, and Chuck Miller, who is always articulate and well-informed even when he pisses me off (which he almost always manages to do).

Good to know that the caps in my Teslas are probably OK. Accessing them would be challenging. And good to know that I really should replace the amp caps, after almost 40 years of constant use. 

And thanks also to Mr. Miller for the straightforward suggestion that I could do that myself. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, and I do value things I've done for myself more than those I've paid someone else to do. Besides, when I do it myself, I know exactly what has actually been done. 

Is there anything else I ought to do to renew a 40 year old amplification circuit?
Oh you can perform many changes but that thing will sound different from what it does now. Not worse but different. 40 years is a long time and parts do age and by this time you got accustomed by its slowly degrading sound, normal. For start replace all electrolytics in amp, and speakers, that only will revive them. Same values, voltages, capacitance, temperature (especially temperature) for keeping at least the character of the units. If you want to go deeper and to unknown, some diodes, resistors, regulators. These changes are not expensive but require a bit of studying before any attempt. I recapped my 1978 tuner, did not alter anything, it only got better. Try to get amp's service manual, it would be the most helpful. Whatever you do good luck and have fun.
G
Seemingly mundane things like switches and volume pots should at the very least be cleaned.  

An election that was won in a landslide is being stolen in a so far relatively bloodless coup. But don't worry, when it does get bloody- which it will! - they'll be coming first after guys like me who have a clue and stand on principle, and only much much later get around to all the rest of you. But do not worry. Your time will come.  

Think you're pissed off now? Just wait.
"...they'll be coming first after guys like me who have a clue..."

Is that a joke?
Post removed