RME ADI-2 direct to amp

Hello all,

I am heavily considering one of these units as the reviews are great and I love the eq options. Anyone compared using the RME direct to amplifier vs via preamp to amp? In theory this should work out well but I tried this years ago with a Wyred4Sound unit and was not pleased with the outcome. Sounded hard and metallic. 
mofojo
When I tried it 10 years ago with my Wyred it worked as well, just sounded hard albeit more detailed.
My mate has a WFS and it too is hard when doing PCM Redbook compared to my discrete R2R MSB, which has even more detail and dynamics. I think it more the WFS dac being exposed when direct.

Cheers George

mofojo OP Which MSB do you have George? Do you run amp direct with it?

The MSB Discrete R2R Ladder Dac that I do run direct, because it’s remote control digital domain volume is a few clicks off full up so (no bit stripping) at the level I listen to.

If I have far more efficient speakers or amps with higher sensitivity in the system,   so the volume of the MSB then is far lower, and then probably ( bit stripping), then I would use my passive in between dac and amp, set it’s level, so then the MSB is back up near full again and use it’s remote volume control again.

Cheers George
Check out post on hifi shark there are some that run RME direct into amp with good results. I have the RME version 2 with Teddy Pardo power supply and MHDT dac. I like both for different reasons. If I had to pick one it may have to be RME. The RME digs deep for information and things keep going when music becomes busy or complex, not as much with r2r and the RME features are awesome. The person that convinced me to try RME replaced his audio mirror se with RME going straight into his amp and from what he told me he loves the results with no regrets.