RME ADI-2 direct to amp

Hello all,

I am heavily considering one of these units as the reviews are great and I love the eq options. Anyone compared using the RME direct to amplifier vs via preamp to amp? In theory this should work out well but I tried this years ago with a Wyred4Sound unit and was not pleased with the outcome. Sounded hard and metallic. 
mofojo
mofojo
RME ADI-2 direct to amp
No problem at all if you can get enough volume, it will be the most transparent/dynamic way, your RME has 100ohm output impedance, and will be fine for any amp.

Cheers George

I haven’t tried it direct as I much enjoy my ModWright preamp and can’t imagine going direct but I should give it a go and report back in a few days... haven’t even tried the headphone amp. I play vinyl often so I need a preamp. It is a great DAC. Every retailer that carries RME has a return policy so not much to lose but cost of return shipping.  It’s extremely flexible but even in its purest form with all settings bypassed or fixed it’s still a bargain. 
Even with its stock switch power supply it sounds great but upgrade the power cable which requires the C7 plug to component as it does improve things. Later look into a Linear Power Supply as it elevates it even more. I went a Teddy Pardo LPS and am very pleased. 
I do know there’s many setting options on the volume control if you do go direct so I’d be surprised if there’s an amp out there that will not work. The engineers gave a lot of thought on the RME and the manual is well thought out as well. It’s simply a little beast.

Yes definately try direct, you may be very surprised.
Just looked that dac, it is the swiss army knife of dacs and uses a AKM (Asahi Kasei Microdevices) dac, not bad for a delta sigma dac, I prefer R2R ladder dacs.

Cheers George
@adg101,

If you do decide to try amp direct I would love to hear your comparisons! I think I will wait till my local guitar center has one in stock then go snatch it up. 

It is confusing to me the weight differences in some of these DACs. My Wyred DAC-2 years ago was something like 15 lbs. I believe some newer ones are heavier as well. What can account for 2lbs vs 15lbs in a DAC? 

Thanks
I've run my ADI-2 directly into my poweramp (Rogue ST100) and it sounded good, albeit a bit drier and less full than when running the ADI-2 through my preamp (Rogue RP7).  I suppose these are preamp colorations (or perhaps there was an impedance issue with directly driving the poweramp?) but the DAC into the preamp sounded better to my ears.