Building Balanced XLR Cables

I am building XLR cables using 3 conductor + shield wire. Typically I would solder the shield to ground, 1 wire to hot, and 1 wire to cold. Should I connect the 3rd wire to the ground (shield), use the 3rd wire as the ground (not use the shield at all), or not use the 3rd wire at all? Thanks in advance.  
drumfishie
Post removed 
Hi

XLR cables should have two conductors and a shield. NOT 3!
Do not use the 3rd conductors for GND.
Use the shield.
Shield is significant to protect from EMI/RFI. use it as GND.
Two ground lines (3rd wire and shield) may cause a ground loop and add hum.
Not to say it is not the standard XLR.
XLR (Balanced line) is a long lasting standard, used in so many applications and configurations.
It works.
Why change?
Just because you purchased the wrong cable with a 3rd conductor?

I would take b4icu's suggestion with a grain of salt.  It may be true in some specific circuits, but not all.  See this guide:

https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

The shield connection on the XLR is basically connected to chassis/ground.  This may be completely different than pin 1 "signal ground".  If you have a cable that has 2 conductors and a braided/foil shield, you can connect the shield to "pin 1".  This is common shared signal ground and may be required in some audio circuits.

That being said, I have have had great success in making cables that use three 20awg solid-core conductors in a braided configuration for pins 1, 2, 3.  I don't connect anything to XLR shield/chassis.  This is very similar to how Kimber Cable makes their interconnects (but they use stranded conductors).